Need to untrack a file that has been tracked accidently? How do I do it?
There currently isn't a function for this (it equates to 'hg forget' and 'git rm --cached'), it's on my list and you can track progress here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-822
[edit] In case anyone doesn't follow the link, this is now implemented and will be part of 1.3.1.
Right click on the file and "Remove". Then add the file to your .hgignore file
Disclaimer. I don't use sourcetree to much especially with mercurial so more of a guess than anything
Remove seems to say that it will remove the file permananetly, I do not want to do that. I want to keep the file around but untrack it. I know I could do this via command line and in mercurial as well. Just want to know how to do it in sourcetree.
Thanks for your answer though.
Here's a workaround until 1.31 comes out if the file is in your local working directory. Quit SourceTree and move the file out of the directory. Start SourceTree again. The file will show up as deleted (grey circle); now "remove" the file (red circle) and commit this change. The file will disappear from the directory listing. Now move the file back into the working directory and it will show up as untracked.This works in 1.30 beta 3; I haven't tried it in 1.29
Or you could open the command prompt via sourcetree to the folder where the file is and issue "git rm --cached" on it.
Thanks for the reply
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.