I lost my 25 digit authentication key. Without it I cannot login to anything. How do I recover it?
Hi Justin,
Here's Atlassian documentation regarding troubleshooting login issues that may help here. Additionally, you can contact Atlassian Support for assistance.
None of these pages help sir. They require me to either login or provide a managed account. I spent the last 8 hours on Atlassian's support pages. My issue is EXTREMELY unique. My company does not manage my account but I login with a corporate email (justin.johnson@gcu.edu) because Loom granted FREE accounts to educators during COVID. Since my account is not managed, I cannot get the proper "Can't Find Your Recovery Key" link to reset in a self-service way. AND since I do not have a Google account, I also do not have access to self-serve recovery! Its maddening! Atlassian's AI is absolutely circuitous. Can you give me a more direct email or phone number please for Atlassian?
Ahh - so, you do not have access to the justin.johnson@gcu.edu mailbox and can't access any emails there?
I can access emails at work. The problem is that I cannot login to the Atlassian system with my GCU account because… I'm having trouble logging in to the Atlassian system lol. The problem is the Two-Factor Authentication. I have lost my 24-digit recovery key. Without it I can't get logged in or even setup an Authentication code generator or login to get help with Atlassian. I am posting in here with a new account just so I can get help! lol
If you haven't already, could you try going to https://id.atlassian.com/ and using "Can't Log In?" at the bottom? This takes me to a page to enter an email to receive a recovery link.
I have tried that a couple times. Thank you though. That is for password recovery, not the 24-digit recovery key. Factor one is the password. Factor two is the 24-digit recovery key or a code generator. Now, if I had a managed account, when the request for the 24-digit recovery key is presented a link for "Can't find your recovery key?" should appear. However, since I am not a managed account (ie a corporate account) I do not get that link.
I just tested with my account in an incognito browser since my account is unmanaged as well. Interestingly enough, I was able to see the "Can't find your recovery key" link.
I wonder if at some point, your account became managed through an organization having claimed the gcu.edu domain. Is it possible for you to check with your organization if that could be the case?
I called GCU tech support today. They do not manage Loom, only Zoom.
I am glad you can see that link though! I wish I could!!! I asked the Atlassian AI Chat if the link was a static link and could be shared with me and it said no. This is where second tier tech support would be helpful.
Hello @Justin Johnson
It is possible that somebody else within gcu.edu set up subscriptions to other Atlassian products (i.e. Jira, Confluence) and claimed the domain and all email accounts within that domain, which would make your account managed. Claiming the domain would require steps that only administrators of the domain can execute, I believe, so it couldn't be done my just anybody.
Can you provide us with the exact steps you are executing and screen images for each step (obscure confidential data) so that we can make sure we have a good understanding of what you are experiencing?
I want to make sure also that we are using the same terminology. You initially said you lost you authentication key, and then later said you are trying to get through 2FA with your "recovery key". Have you been using multi-factor authentication prior to this? If so, what did you use for the second factor? I ask because a "recovery key" is a one-time use key to be used when you have lost access to your usual authentication second factor. For instance if I set up 2FA for my account and elected to use an authenticator app on my mobile device, then if I lost my mobile device I would need my recovery key for a one time login to get logged in instead of using the authenticator app. And then I would have to re-setup my authenticator app and get a new recovery key.
Is it possible that somebody else within gcu.edu set up subscriptions to other Atlassian products (i.e. Jira, Confluence) and claimed the domain and all email accounts within that domain, which would make your account managed. Claiming the domain would require steps that only administrators of the domain can execute, I believe, so it couldn't be done my just anybody.
I want to make sure also that we are using the same terminology. You initially said you lost you authentication key, and then later said you are trying to get through 2FA with your "recovery key". Have you been using multi-factor authentication prior to this?
If so, what did you use for the second factor?
I ask because a "recovery key" is a one-time use key to be used when you have lost access to your usual authentication second factor. For instance if I set up 2FA for my account and elected to use an authenticator app on my mobile device, then if I lost my mobile device I would need my recovery key for a one time login to get logged in instead of using the authenticator app. And then I would have to re-setup my authenticator app and get a new recovery key.
Thank you for the additional information and screen images @Justin Johnson
I see on the last screen that there is a "Use SMS" option. Have you tried that?
If that doesn't work I found this article about contacting Loom support. It has a method for when you can and when you cannot get logged in to Loom.
The "Use SMS" option on that screen takes you back to the former screen to use the Authenticator app which generates an SMS code. I will submit a ticket to Atlassian using the link you provided. Thank you
This is the error I get when I try to submit a ticket:
Support Service Connection Issue
There may be an issue reaching our backend service. This could result in your form submission failing to create a support ticket.
Resolution: GCU tech support followed my login path and instead of logging in with an authenticator app, they recommended I login with Microsoft (which is the company MFA). I am now logged in. The technical support person that I spoke to yesterday told me Loom was not managed by GCU but it appears they were wrong. This still does not resolve the loss of my 24-digit recovery key but it does resolve the login, which was the primary goal.
Hello @Justin Johnson ,
I hope you are well.
In regards to your recovery key, please note that recovery keys are cryptographically secured so only you have had access to it and you would have to re-do your authentication to get a brand new key.
To do so, there are multiple options forward:
Note: If your organization requires mandatory two-step verification via an authentication policy, you may not be able to log in again once disabled until you re-enable it.
In the future if you have issues with your account, you can submit a ticket through here: https://www.atlassian.com/company/contact/purchasing-licensing and if you cannot log in, please open the page in an incognito tab then select "continue without logging in" the appropriate option for your case and if you have not seen the option that applies to you, click the "need more help?" text two times and a text box will appear for you to describe the issue you are facing to send towards the relevant team.
Kind regards, Manol
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.