I’ve been using Loom for years and I’m genuinely confused about what the business model is for this product at this point. Loom used to work the same way every time I opened it. No surprises. It was simple, reliable, and useful enough that paying for it was an easy decision. Since the Atlassian acquisition, my experience has been almost the exact opposite.
The app crashes constantly (and now my other programs crash when I start using Loom). Recordings disappear or fail to save. Audio is randomly distorted or unusable. Often times I finish recording something and have no confidence that the video I just made will actually exist when I’m done. And please don't tell us about the "bug fixes" you're working on. For a product whose entire purpose is recording and saving videos, those are complete failures of the core product.
I pay $25/month for Loom and it functions about as well as the web app I made with Claude (I am not a developer. I work in politics. It wasn't good).
What prompted me to post this is that I came here looking for solutions and instead read through several pages of posts from other users describing the same kinds of problems, plus a remarkable number of people saying they’re trying to cancel.
So, genuinely: what is your plan for Loom?
Is Atlassian actively investing in making Loom a reliable standalone product? Will you fold it into the primary Atlassian tools? Is reliability actually a priority on the current roadmap? Or is it just a reliable revenue stream that you can use to offset the R&D costs of tools you're interested in? Because from the customer side, the trajectory is baffling. You take a product people loved because it was simple and dependable, make it more expensive, make the core functionality shittier, and then watch longtime customers leave. We don’t need Loom to have more features. We need it to reliably record a video, preserve the recording, and play back the audio correctly.
I’d really appreciate an answer from someone at Atlassian about what customers should expect from Loom going forward, because right now it’s getting increasingly difficult to justify continuing to pay for it.