I apologize in advance if this isn't the best group for this kind of discussion.
TLDR: I’d love to hear how you got started with scripting and automation.
---
I’ve been working as an Atlassian admin for a few years and it feels like learning scripting or automation is the next step I need to take to grow my skillset. A huge part of what attracts me to it is the potential to eliminate repetitive work. I'm the only Atlassian Admin at my organization so I'm constantly looking for ways to make things more efficient as I am constantly dealing with time/bandwidth constraints. I'm sure there are probably a lot of tasks I could automate if I had the skills to do so. Personally, I’m also interested in eventually moving more toward development/engineering, so scripting feels like a natural bridge between where I am now and where I’d like to go.
The challenge is that getting started feels overwhelming. I see things about Groovy or ScriptRunner or Python or JavaScript and then there's Forge and REST APIs and now MCP Servers and Rovo Dev and its CLI.
I’m curious about how others approached this. How did you first get into scripting/automation? Was there a specific problem that forced you to learn? Did you start with a particular language? Did you have a mentor? Did you learn through side projects or did you learn at work?
Did you also see learning this as a giant mountain that you weren't sure how to climb?
Was learning scripting even a stepping stone on your journey?
I'd really enjoy hearing your stories.