I just inherited a git enabled website. My goals are
- Clone this site to my local machine (Windows 7)
- Create a repository for this site at Bitbucket
- Push changes from my local machine to Bitbucket and then pull those changes to the live site.
This simple goal is challenging because the former developer left a very scant documentation and I am completely new to git.
Here is what I have:
- I have installed SourceTree client
- I have created an empty repo at Bitbucket and
- I have access to the live site.
Now for some reason best known to the former developer, this site does not have a repo at Bitbucket rather he was pushing his updates from he development machine to the live site directly. And to further confuse me, in the live site, I found two files id_rsa.bitbucket and id_rsa.bitbucket.pub in /home/user/.ssh and also when I cat /home/user/.ssh/config/ I found
Host Bitbucket.org
User username
IdentityFile ~/.ssh/id_rsa.bitbucket
Now using SourceTree when I try to clone
ssh://websitename.com:22/srv/git/hubs/websiteFolderName.git
I get an access denied error. I get an access denied error. Now I was entering my standard ssh password.
So I was thinking maybe it is because my Windows machine does not have an SSH client, but then I saw that SourceTree have a tool to create or import ssh keys, I tried that but then it created a .ppk key and not a .pub key. In any event I am already confused.
Please I can use any help, if you need more clarification, please let me know. Thanks