Hey all!
Below is the Q&A from a recently "Getting Started with Confluence" session I ran. I answered most of these in chat, but am including answers here in case folks find it useful!
Drop any other questions you have below, and check out the "public classes" over in Atlassian learning for more!
~Rob
Question 1 - "What’s up, if the checkmarks are greyed out? (Found in Email General Settings)"
Question 2 - "Can you have a Space within a Space, say a sub-space?"
-
Answer: No, Confluence uses a flat space hierarchy (there are no sub-spaces or parent spaces). However, you can create a content hierarchy (child pages under parent pages) within a space up to multiple levels deep.
Question 3 - "What kind of rule of thumb do you have before creating a page, do you recommend create like an outline before creating a page or create as you go."
Question 4 - "Can pages be unpublished?"
Question 5 - "Does the person who publishes the page get notifications if someone comments or do you have to manually remember to check?"
-
Answer: By default, the author/creator of a page automatically "watches" the page. When someone leaves a comment on a watched page, Confluence sends an in-app and/or email notification to the watcher based on their personal notification preferences.
Question 6 - "If I cannot comment and it says that I don’t have permission to comment, does that mean I specifically don’t have the right permission, or could comments simply be set to off for that page?"
-
Answer: Confluence space permissions manage commenting at the space level via the "Add Comment" permission. If you see a permission error, your user account or group lacks the "Add Comment" permission in that specific space. Comments cannot be disabled on a single, individual page while remaining on for the rest of the space.