I'm using the Atlassian MCP server to automate Jira workflows, and I've hit a significant limitation with worklog querying that makes daily time tracking and reporting difficult.
The Problem
The current MCP tools don't provide an efficient way to retrieve all worklogs for a specific user on a given date. The available approach is to use searchJiraIssuesUsingJql with worklogDate and worklogAuthor filters, but this has major limitations:
- The search returns issues that have worklogs, not the worklogs themselves
- Each issue only includes the most recent 20 worklogs in the response (via the
worklog field) - For issues with many historical worklogs, today's entries may not be included in that 20-item window
- There's no way to aggregate or filter the worklog data directly
Real-World Impact
When I query for today's worklogs using the current tools, I get incomplete results. For example, today I logged time to 7+ different issues totaling 3 hours, but the MCP query only returned 2 issues with visible worklogs from today. The Jira Worklogs app shows all of this data correctly, but I can't access it programmatically through MCP.
What's Needed
A dedicated worklog query tool with parameters like:
author (user account ID or email)dateFrom / dateTo (date range)issueKey (optional, to filter by specific issues)- Response that returns actual worklog entries (time spent, comment, started timestamp, issue key) rather than issue objects
This would enable common use cases like:
- Daily time tracking summaries
- Weekly worklog reports
- Time-by-project or time-by-epic aggregation
- Automated timesheet generation
Workaround
The only current workaround is to use the Jira Worklogs app UI manually, which defeats the purpose of using MCP for automation.
Would the team consider adding a searchWorklogs or similar tool to the Atlassian MCP server? This seems like a common enough use case that it would benefit many users trying to automate time tracking workflows.