Your account can't be deleted because:
- This account is related to active accounts that are set to AUTO-RENEW.
- This account is the primary billing contact for one or more products.
- This account is a technical contact for one or more products.
- To continue deleting this account the account owner needs to visit my.atlassian.com and designate a different user as a billing and technical contact.
- Read our support documentation for more help and instructions: https://confluence.atlassian.com/x/pTgoPQ
When I follow the instruction and go to my.atlassian.com, the only subscription I see is a Bitbucket account for which there is no address or payment information stored.
When I click on "Manage subscriptions", I am sent to https://bitbucket.org/account/settings/. There is a "Delete account" link, but it brings me back to the initial page where trying to delete my account doesn't work.
I also talked with your chatbot, but it wasn't able to help. I found many posts in this forums with people also unable to delete their account after following the instructions.
I wrote this to illustrate how deleting an Atlassian account is made artificially complicated or impossible. I spent a few hours trying and did not accomplish anything. This is unreasonable.
With this being said, I request that Atlassian deletes all my personal information from their systems. If this is not done in a timely manner, I will report you to the CAI and fines will be charged under Law 25 in Quebec (where I am accessing your services from).
More information on Law 25: https://www.cai.gouv.qc.ca/protection-renseignements-personnels/citoyens-protection-renseignements-personnels
Update for anyone with the same problem:
Within a few hours after posting this, I received a message from someone in the technical support:
> Good day!!
> Thank you for contacting Bitbucket cloud Support. My name is [...], and I will assist you with this case.
> I’ve deleted your Bitbucket user account and the workspace that was set to AUTO-RENEW, blocking the Atlassian account deletion. This workspace will be completely removed from our systems in 30 days, and then you’ll be able to delete your Atlassian account from https://id.atlassian.com/manage-profile/account-preferences.
> I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
> Kind regards,
As of today, 21 days later, my account still cannot be deleted. I should be able to delete it in 9 days according to the above message. The same person from technical support also gave me this explanation:
> We really appreciate your honest feedback. Please allow me to explain the rationale for this flow, which prevents users from deleting their Atlassian accounts.
> When an account is set to auto-renew, the primary technical/billing contact is also considered the workspace owner. This account is used for managing invoices, billing, and payment methods. If the current workspace admins lose access to the workspace, the primary technical/billing contacts can be considered owners and granted admin access for recovery purposes. So we don’t allow deleting the Atlassian account if a user is a primary billing/technical contact of a workspace. You can view your current subscriptions at https://my.atlassian.com and remove them to delete your Atlassian account.
I never paid for any service on this website. Why do I have to worry about being a billing contact? Thousands of websites offer paid services alongside a free version, but it's the first time I see a case where it is necessary to involve the technical support and then wait a month to have an account deleted.