Hi,
My Atlassian admin and I are having trouble getting our workflow to work with the Atlassian Rovo MCP using API Token authentication. We’re trying to automate Jira ticket creation through our CI/CD pipeline.
We’ve configured everything according to the documentation:
(https://support.atlassian.com/security-and-access-policies/docs/manage-atlassian-mp3 juice-rovo-mcp-server/)
However, when connecting, Claude only has access to read-only tools. I’m getting the following issue:
Unfortunately, I’m unable to create a Jira ticket. The Atlassian MCP tools available (getTeamworkGraphContext and getTeamworkGraphObject) are read-only — they can fetch and display existing Jira data but cannot create new issues. Attempts to access the Atlassian API return a 401 Unauthorized error, suggesting the MCP integration may not have write permissions configured.
We’ve tried:
- Using three different API tokens, all with full permissions
- Removing and re-adding the MCP connection
Nothing seems to enable access to any write tools or permissions. We’re currently stuck.
This is our current MCP configuration:
{
"mcpServers": {
"atlassian": {
"type": "http",
"url": "https://mcp.atlassian.com/v1/mcp",
"headers": {
"Authorization": "Bearer ${{ secrets.ATLASSIAN_MCP_API_TOKEN }}"
}
}
}
}Any advice or suggestions on how to properly configure write access for Claude with MCP would be greatly appreciated.