[note: text might look AI-ish because I CBA with writing everything from scratch]
Hi everyone 👋
I’ve been exploring ways to improve request quality and reduce agent effort in JSM (or CSM) by leveraging AI beyond native capabilities (e.g., Rovo / Virtual Agent).
While testing built-in features, I ran into a few limitations:
-
Handling incomplete or ambiguous user inputs
-
Limited ability to leverage external context (HRIS, historical requests, user attributes)
-
Lack of proactive request enrichment before reaching agents
To be clearer, I'm looking at how to resolve the following requirement: Leveraging AI to minimize incomplete requests and agent effort 👈👈
💡 Potenital approach (high-level)
I started experimenting with a more extensible architecture using a third-party LLM + middleware layer (via APIs / MCP).
Conceptually, the flow looks like this:

In short:
-
User submits a request (potentially outside Atlassian)
-
Middleware enriches the prompt with external data (HRIS, past tickets, etc.)
-
LLM generates a structured, complete request
-
Request is created in JSM
-
Optional feedback loop for continuous improvement
❓Now, the questions
I’d love to validate how feasible this is within the Atlassian ecosystem and what constraints I might be missing.
Specifically:
-
Has anyone implemented something similar using Rovo MCP or external LLMs?
-
Any specific limitations of MCP for third-party AI integrations (for this scenario)?
-
Would this require all end users to have Atlassian accounts, or would portal-only accounts also work?
-
Any performance or cost trade-offs worth calling out?
Would really appreciate any insights, examples, or lessons learned 🙏
Cheers,
Tobi
Fyi — I briefly discussed this with an Atlassian PM, and one suggestion was leveraging Slack ↔ JSM integration for intake (i.e. users submitting requests via Slack, which then creates tickets in JSM).
This makes sense from an entry-point perspective, but I’d still expect to need an AI layer in between.