Hi everyone,
Following up on a previous question where I was able to calculate Average Resolution Time in Atlassian Analytics using the difference between Created and Resolved timestamps. (https://community.atlassian.com/forums/Atlassian-Analytics-questions/Average-Resolution-Time/qaq-p/3153031)
Thanks to the guidance I received, I successfully built a report that calculates:
- Resolution time per work item using a date difference
- Average resolution time across a defined subset of work items
However, this calculation currently uses straight (24x7) hours, and I now need to adjust it to calculate only within defined business hours.
What I’m trying to achieve
I want the report to calculate average resolution time considering business hours, similar to how SLAs work in Jira Service Management, for example:
- Monday–Friday
- 5:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Excluding weekends (and ideally holidays, if possible)
Current state:
Data source: Jira / Jira Service Management via Atlassian Analytics
I already have:
- Created date
- Resolved date
- A working average resolution time calculation (based on straight hours)
What I’m struggling with
I don’t see a clear way in Atlassian Analytics to:
- Apply a business calendar, or
- Exclude non-business hours from the date difference calculation
My questions
Is there a native way in Atlassian Analytics to calculate time differences using business hours instead of 24x7?
If not natively supported:
- Is there a recommended SQL-based workaround (e.g., custom calendar table, working-hours logic)?
- Or is the recommended approach to rely on SLA metrics instead of raw date differences?
Any guidance, examples, or best practices would be greatly appreciated — especially from anyone who has solved this for operational or leadership reporting.
Thanks in advance!