
Hello New-To-Jira Community! 👋
It’s Tuesday — which means it’s time for another discussion where we share tips... and let's today laugh at our early mistakes
It might help new Jira users learn from our confusion, not their own.
When I first started using Jira, I was completely overwhelmed. Confusing moments? Oh, plenty! I tend to focus on the complex things, so sometimes it’s the simplest detail that breaks my brain. Once, I opened my project and saw… nothing. My first thought? Data loss!
But no — the truth was far less dramatic. I just needed to switch the view: I had epics selected, but I was looking for tasks. A classic beginner moment!

And if you ask ten people what confused them most when they first opened Jira, you’ll get ten different answers — which is exactly why today’s discussion should be fun.
Jira is powerful, flexible, and incredibly customizable… but for newcomers, that often means one thing: overwhelm.
For many, the first “Wait, what?” comes from Jira terminology. Stories, tasks, epics, issues — aren’t they all just tasks? Others get tripped up by workflows. Why does one project have three statuses and another have nine? And what does “In Review” really mean?
Then there are the boards. Drag-and-drop feels simple until you realize half your tasks are missing because of filters, sub-filters, board settings, or some mysterious JQL you didn’t know existed.
So today’s question is simple: What confused you the most when you first used Jira?
Your story might be exactly what helps someone else finally make sense of it.
P.S. Don’t forget to check out other Tuesday-Jira-Vibes discussions!