I am currently upgrading my atlassian environment.
My current Jira version is 9.12.15, trying to upgrade to LTS 10.3.12.
My current Confluence version is 8.9.8, im looking to upgrade to LTS 9.2.9.
My current Crowd version is 5.3.1, im looking to upgrade to 7.1.0
Currently in my dev environment i have setup a test instances for crowd, jira, and confluence. Before I attempted to upgrade crowd to 7.1.0, I had the integration with crowd between jira, and confluence working. All the apps were able recognize each other, and if i logged into one, i was able to log into the other.
Now when I upgraded crowd to 7.1.0, i ran into no issues from what i can tell in the installation log, and upon startup. Post upgrade, I am able to log into crowd, using my a crowd directory synced with entra id. So logging into crowd itself is fine, able to use my domain credentials. However, I am unable to log into jira and confluence through crowd. I can attest that the "crowd.properties" has the correct crowd url/credentials. And inside the database the crowd directory the "crowd.server.url" has the correct crowd url, along with the correct credentials.
When i attempt to login to Jira, on Crowd i can see (so my login request are reaching my crowd server):
2025-10-11 22:32:49,430 http-nio-8080-exec-13 INFO [plugin.rest.filter.BasicApplicationAuthenticationFilter] Invalid authentication for application with name 'jira-dev'
So i thought the credentials, is wrong but I can attest that I have been consistent with it (updated inside crowd, crowd.properties, and the database crowd directory). Even trying a new password, and new crowd application name. It still does not work. Same error as above.
Now a odd thing is that, when i log into crowd. And then i open up jira url. I am able to access jira, and see my issues. But when i go to admin settings and login again, it doesnt let me. (I am an admin). I know this can happen if the crowd.server.url is not matching your crowd server, but in this case it is
.
I did go through the upgrade notes and didnt see anything that might affect authentication/login process up to 7.1.0. I did see stuff about OAuth2.0 being added, but it seemed like it didnt mess with the crowd login integration . In "Authentication Methods" i do have have "Allow basic authentication on API calls" enabled. If i disabled, i get this error inside jira logs,
2025-10-11 23:53:59,789+0000 http-nio-8080-exec-23 ERROR anonymous 1433x1518x1 x5svmq /rest/tsv/1.0/authenticate [c.a.c.manager.application.ApplicationServiceGeneric] Directory 'Crowd Server (id)' is not functional during authentication of '<myusername>'. Skipped.
Some notes:
- for my crowd installation, the url "https://<crowd_base_url>/crowd/services/" returns a dead link. Is that supposed to be the case?
tldr; unable to login to jira/confluence with crowd integration post upgrade to 7.1.0