Is it or will it ever be possible to register my custom MCP client with atlassian, similar to 3LO?
I’m building a custom MCP client and want to talk directly to the Atlassian Remote MCP (<a href="https://mcp.atlassian.com/v1/sse" rel="noopener nofollow noreferrer" target="_blank">https://mcp.atlassian.com/v1/sse</a>) so I can use the Jira/Confluence tools from an application.
Using mcp-remote works fine (browser pops, loopback callback, tools load). But when I try the same PKCE flow from my own Python client—using a 3LO (auth.atlassian.com) client ID—the token call against the MCP auth server (discovered from its well-known metadata) fails. So it seems like my client isn’t recognized by the MCP auth server.
Questions:
- Can I get a custom MCP client registered (like 3LO, but for mcp.atlassian.com)? If yes, how?
- Are redirects loopback-only (
<a href="http://localhost:%7Bport" rel="noopener nofollow noreferrer" target="_blank">http://localhost:{port</a>}), or can I request a public HTTPS redirect (for AKS/server use)? - Should MCP clients be public PKCE (no secret), or can they be confidential?
- Is dynamic client registration supported?