I’ve been using Atlassian tools (mainly Jira and Confluence) to manage a fully remote e-commerce and development team. While these tools help with productivity and project tracking, I’m struggling with setting fair and competitive salaries for team members in different locations — especially since cost of living and market rates vary so much between regions.
I know some companies use broad “cost of living” multipliers, but that can be tricky to get right. Others just pay the same rate regardless of location, but that sometimes makes it harder to hire in higher-cost areas.
I recently came across SalaryPediaUSA.com, which has salary benchmarks for a wide variety of roles, including software developers, project managers, and e-commerce specialists. It’s been helpful for seeing what’s competitive in the U.S., but I’d like to hear how others handle global compensation strategies while keeping things fair and sustainable.
My questions for the community:
How do you set salary bands for different countries or states while managing a distributed team?
Do you base pay purely on skill and role, or also factor in location-based adjustments?
Has anyone here used market benchmarking tools or data sources alongside Atlassian products to guide hiring decisions?