I recently made an update to the free Atlassian Labs app (Sprint Capacity Analysis) to add a new Overview tab.
I was concerned that my original landing page in the app (a giant table of numbers and icons) was too difficult to parse and I wanted to make it easier for users to interpret the data.

This lead be to wonder if there is any guidance that can be given to a team that could not be argued. My concern is that what might be "best practice" for me, might be constraining for someone else.
Jira is brilliantly flexible because it is so unopinionated. It doesn't force sprints to be the same length for example but I would argue that you need a consistent sprint length in order to establish velocity, and that you need velocity to be predictable.
Would guiding users to ensure sprints are the same length be controversial? Not for me, but I can imagine some reasons why variations might be argued for.
What about work item assignment? Is it reasonable to say that to establish accurate velocity you need a consistent team, so there should be a 1:1 mapping between board and team (which is why I created another app called Jira Board Buddy!) and that only people in that team should work on items on the board.
However, my processes are heavily optimised for achieving predictable delivery and this might not be the key objective for other teams.
The application currently provides guidance on:
- Number of active sprints (ideally 1)
- Overbooking sprints (planning more than can be delivered)
- Delivering the expected amount of work (delivering what was possible, regardless of what was planned)
- Validating assignees (they should be in the team)
- Consistency of sprint length (they should be the same length)
- Dividing the backlog into future sprints (there should be no unplanned work)
I thought I'd canvas the community to get some feedback. Would you argue with any of these things? Is there anything missing? I'd be keen to gauge how controversial they are.
Please let me know what you think!
Thanks,
Dave