Hello, I'm Hazel (Hyejin) Kim, a Community Champion for the Seoul Atlassian Community.
Iāve been working as a marketer in the IT industry for over a decade.
People often assume that marketers are naturally outgoing and love being in the spotlight. But Iām quite the opposite ā I'm an introvert who has always found public speaking and social events intimidating. So how did someone like me become a moderator for events ranging from 10 to 100 people, and a speaker to present in other countries?
Today, Iād like to share my journey of becoming a Community Champion and the surprising experiences Iāve had along the way.
Ā

Ā
š Before Becoming a Champion ā Experiencing Passion Firsthand
My first encounter with the Atlassian Community began in 2018 when I joined Open Source Consulting (OSCi), an Atlassian partner.
At the time, I had never heard of Atlassian or user meetups. But I was deeply impressed by how 20 to 30 people would gather after work every month to passionately discuss Atlassian products and philosophies. I saw people who didnāt just use Atlassian tools ā they loved them. It was more than a product; it was a culture.
Sadly, as COVID hit in late 2019, those vibrant in-person gatherings came to a halt, and the community's energy began to fade.
Ā
Ā
š„ The Turning Point ā Reigniting the Flame

In 2024, I unexpectedly reconnected with the Atlassian Community while helping organize the Seoul edition of Atlassian's global Agile/DevOps event, Unleash.
The Community team reached out, looking for a local partner to support the event, and I gladly accepted. Through the preparation, I witnessed how genuinely Atlassian cares for and champions its users.
What surprised me most was that over 100 people showed up to the event ā despite the community being quiet for years post-COVID. It hit me:
"People had been craving this kind of learning and connection."
That day, I made up my mind:
āIām going to help revive this community.ā
And so began my journey as a Community Champion.
Ā
š Community Champions - A Whole New World
Since joining the Champion network, Iāve met amazing, inspiring people.
Champions are open-minded, passionate, and always lead by taking action. With them, even the impossible starts to feel doable.

-
First Collaborative Webinar in Seoul with MERSELO
Our first-ever cross-regional webinar took place in Seoul, thanks to a proposal fromĀ @Fun Man AndyĀ Ā , the champion of the MERSELO community. His energy sparked the collaboration, and to our delight, he even flew in to join our Seoul event in person ā a true No.1 influencer in every sense!
-
First In-Person Event Outside Korea: Visiting Austin
Thanks to a warm invitation fromĀ Ā @SuzeĀ , I had the chance to attend the Atlassian Community event in Austin. It was an eye-opening experience, seeing how other cities host their gatherings. And visiting the Atlassian Austin office is absolutely unforgettable.
-
First Speaking Role at an Online Global Event: Budapest
The Budapest Champion @Eszter Ernszt-GalambĀ @Attila Gaspar _META-INF_Ā invited me to speak at their online community event. Even though it was virtual, it was deeply meaningful ā it reminded me that impactful collaboration knows no borders. It also became the first time I gave a talk in English, and the beginning of a new chapter for me.
-
First English Presentation at an In-Person Event: Madrid
A thoughtful invitation from the Madrid Champion @Huwen Arnone _Deiser_Devoteam_Ā Ā led me to speak at a live event in a city I had never been to, in front of people I had never met ā and in English. Itās something I would have never imagined myself doing. But that day, I discovered a version of myself I didnāt know existed.
Ā
All these moments were only possible because of the trust and inspiration from my fellow Champions.
Where I am doesnāt matter. Bond from a strong community makes me move. I am truly captivated by these positive vibes!Ā

Ā
āļø One Last Thing
Becoming a Community Champion pushed me far beyond my comfort zone. It encouraged me to try new things, and in the process, I surprised even myself.
You, too, might discover a version of yourself you never expected ā and it might all begin in a community, just like it did for me. š
Ā
And now, I want to present more people with this moment of connection and the beginning of change.
Now, I hope to create more opportunities for connection and give a present to more people this change.
My first collaboration Seoul ACE, taking place in August, marks the first step.
Thank you for reading.
See you in the community! š
Ā
Ā
#AtlassianChampions #community #atlassiancommunityĀ
Ā