I've been working on a Forge application to assist teams using scrum (it's already available for free on the Atlassian Marketplace). This app uses individual capacity to guide you on how many work items you should include in upcoming sprints. This analyses both work item count and story point velocity.
I'm iterating on an automatic sprint scheduling algorithm and I'm interested to understand how other Jira teams manage their backlog.
When it comes to planning future sprints I'm interested in how many sprints you plan in advance, how far down your backlog you estimate work items (if at all!) and what measures you take to ensure that work items are done in a sensible order.
Do you rely solely on the work item rank? Do you lean on priority assigned to work items? Do you use flags?
How do you manage dependencies? For example do you check to see if a sprint contains work items that depend on each other or do you try to ensure that dependent work items are scheduled synchronously?
Are you guided by thematic objectives? (e.g. do you try and work on a fixed distribution of bugs, engineering health and feature work?)
Do you plan for 100% capacity or do you only partially fill a sprint in the knowledge that some unplanned work always finds its way in (despite your best efforts!)
If this sounds a little bit like the "Calculate" from Portfolio (now "Auto Schedule" in Jira Plans) then this isn't a co-incidence as I used to work on that product a long time ago at Atlassian but this is very much just a side project on a topic that greatly interests me (the difference being that this is constrained to a single board).
At the moment I'm just relying purely on rank, but I'm wondering what other aspects of work items I should look at.
If anyone is willing to share any insights on any of the above then I'd be very grateful.
Also, if you'd like to give my app a try and let me know what you think I'd be keen to hear your feedback.
Thanks!