
Â
When I shifted from B2C and agency work into the Atlassian Marketplace, my brain flashed an ERROR 404: NEW IDEA NOT FOUND.🤯
Apps are different—surely I need a moon-shot campaign, I thought. But after a few “let’s get crazy!” brainstorms, something felt off:
-
I was chasing novelty for novelty’s sake.
-
I was forgetting the fundamentals that worked everywhere else.
-
I was labeling myself “marketer” first and “human” second.
That label became the only real box I had to escape.
Â
Back to Basics: Marketing = H2H
Whether you’re promoting an app, a service, or your local bake sale, one question cuts through the noise:
“Do I need to persuade a human?”
If the answer is yes (spoiler: it always is), then humanize everything—tone, visuals, follow-up, even release notes. The tech stack may change, but human psychology hasn’t had a version update in 200,000 years.
Three Micro-Shifts That Keep Me Grounded ✨
| Old Reflex |
Human-First Swap |
|---|
| Persona-speak: “Target segment: Mid-market Jira Admins, 35–44.” |
Name a real user you spoke to this week. Write for them. |
| Feature dump: “Now with OAuth 2.0 & SSO!” |
Tell the story of a 3-click setup that saved Lisa two hours on ticket triage. |
| Automated blast: “Nurture Email #7.” |
One-to-one gesture: a quick Loom video or LinkedIn voice note saying “Thanks for the bug report—fixed!” |
None of these require an ad budget or a VR headset—just curiosity and empathy.
Why It Matters in the Atlassian Community
Atlassian’s ethos is “Teamwork starts with people.”
Our marketing should echo that:
-
Marketplace ≠Mall. Apps live or die on peer reviews and word-of-mouth. People smell hype a sprint away.
-
Admins are humans under pressure. They want reliability, not razzle-dazzle.
-
Community first, pipeline second. Give genuine help in forums, and qualified leads appear as a by-product.
A Challenge for Fellow Marketers
Before your next “out-of-the-box” brainstorm, ask:
-
Have we fully explored the basics inside?
-
Are we talking with humans or at personas?
-
Are we hiding behind our “marketer” label?
If any answer makes you squirm, congratulations—you’ve found the real innovation opportunity.
Â
👋🏻Join the Conversation
How do you keep your campaigns human inside a highly technical space? Share your wins (and face-plants) in the comments—let’s unpack the box together.
— Salome, Marketing Manager @ Twinit