Do you consider yourself to be a runner?
Whether you're occasional, habitual, or disciplined - I wonder how many runners there are here on Community?
Why do you run? To experience the benefits of physical exercise? When you run, do you listen to music, or pay attention to the world around you?
For me, I run primarily for tourism's sake - I love signing up for races where I can run down streets that are normally reserved for cars. š«
My favorites?
I run, but am currently on a hiatus due to an injury. Hopefully, I'll get to start back at it in a few more weeks!Ā
My favorite race here in Milwaukee is the Storm the Bastille 5K. It's at night and we get to run the city streets - I especially love running down the center of a specific street that give you the perfect view of two of my favorite landmarks all lined up. Plus, the art museum has lights now so they are usually lit up in red and blue for Bastille Days!
(Not my photo)
@Amanda BarberĀ - so timely, Bastille Day is only weeks away! š«š·
In Philly we had an annual tradition of storming our local historic jail, but that stopped 7 years ago. Sadness!Ā https://www.easternstate.org/visit/events/bastille-day
Woah, yours looks way more fun than mine, haha!
I guess it was so much fun they shut it down ššš
I run some! Have started in the last year, mostly just because its a low cost way to be active no matter where I am haha (doesn't require a gym unless you live in Baton Rouge in the summer... which i do lol so that's rough haha)
It's also been fun to tie it to milestones like doing a 5k and a 10k (currently training for a half marathon just to see if i can do it!) and i like the idea of taking trips somewhere fun to do them (went to Houston for my 10k and going to Toronto for my half!)
@Brittany JoinerĀ - you run AND you Trello? Or do you run Trello?
If I can do a half marathon, you can definitely do it. (I'm in less good shape than I care to admit...)
@Dave LIAOĀ hahah i dunno, running 10k felt like a lot, im not sure how to double thatĀ š
I'll second whatĀ @Dave LIAOĀ said,Ā @Brittany JoinerĀ - you'll rock the half marathon. And then, I bet you take on a full. I've done three. First, to prove I could. Then, because I forgot about the suck two more times. :-D
@Amanda BarberĀ i appreciate the encouragement!! it is funny how quick you forget the suckĀ š
@Brittany JoinerĀ - you run AND you Trello? Or do you run Trello? IfĀ IĀ can do a half marathon, you canĀ definitelyĀ do it. (I'm in less good shape than I care to admit...)
IfĀ IĀ can do a half marathon, you canĀ definitelyĀ do it. (I'm in less good shape than I care to admit...)
Ā
If onlyĀ @Brittany JoinerĀ ran Trello, Trello would run the worldĀ š
Dave LiaoĀ Community Champion For me, I run primarilyĀ for tourism's sakeĀ - I love signing up for races where I can run down streets that are normally reserved for cars. š« My favorites? Philadelphia's Broad Street Run - running 10 miles along our Broad Street! the Paris Marathon - running down the Champs Elysees!
I love this as a reason to runĀ šI run but i'm not a runner.Ā Ā I don't enjoy running but it offers me 2 things:
I am not a social runner. Despite portraying this obviously outgoing and sociable exteriorš, I actually can't stand being around lots of people. I don't like competitiveness (especially the macho type) amongst people either. I get it but I don't like it, the only person I want to compete with is myself.
Iām a fighter not a runner š but when we came for 3 months to Australia when my sons were little it wasnāt so practical to find a short term dojo so I started running! Spotting the āweird group of people gathering every Saturday morningā got me into Parkrun, and Iāve kept going over since.
I really enjoy the tourism of seeing a city via running, especially on work trips, and itās been great to find community with others - the Team run club withĀ @Boris Berenberg - Modus CreateĀ is an annual highlight now, and starting a run club was a rapid way to make new friends when I moved to Brisbane from the UK.Ā
From reluctant beginnings Iāve now done loads of half marathons, and my first full last year on the Gold Coast - not tempted by Ultras though š¤£
I run because it helps me clear my head and discover new places along the way. It's a perfect mix of mindfulness and adventure! šāāļøāØ
I usually listen to music and podcasts when I run. I'm a bit late to the party, but I just discovered thereās a podcast called The Jira Life - definitely going to check it out on my next run! š§
@Mike - Dreamsuite ConsultingĀ havent you heard the rumors??? i do run TrelloĀ š
And i totally know what you mean- i like to say i don't enjoy running, i enjoy being done with a run haha. And im not very social with it eitherĀ š even if i am running at a conversational pace, i don't want to have a conversation. And i treat treadmills at the gym with what i think are urinal rules - always leave one in between you and another person š
I stopped running for exercise when I left the military.Ā
I now only run if I'm being chased.
I started running when I was 15 as cross training for my figure skating.Ā I fell in love with running.Ā My mind clears, my body feels free and my spirit is happy when I'm running.Ā Ā In my running years, I have run 9 marathons (3 Bostons, 2 NYCs and 1 Disney marathon (my fav)).Ā I have run countless 5k, 10k, 21k races and they have been good, bad and ugly but always worth it.Ā I have run when it's -35C and when it's +35C, neither of which I recommend!
Running friends are your closest and best friends.Ā Everything is shared on a run and stays on the run.Ā I met my soon to be husband running the beer mile (4 beers, 1 mile..that was ugly).Ā
I pack my running shoes on business trips and have run alongside the Thames in London, beside the Ottawa canal and the beachfront in Cape Town.Ā Ā I have raced pushing my twins in a running stroller in the Bay Street Rat Race in Toronto.Ā I have dressed up for countless Santa shuffles.
As I approach 50 years of running, the racing is behind me (so are the injuries) and I simply run for the pure love of the run and a good chat with my running girlfriends!!
Never stop running!!!
@Amanda BarberĀ - I try to space marathons far enough apart that I forget why I don't run them more often. Ha! š
@Kit FriendĀ - looking forward to eventually doing a run with you and Boris! I find it challenging to wake up early during our conferences sometimes...
I started running because I like to eatĀ š
I've been sidelined for the last few years due to recurring injuries (achilles and pinched nerve) but got back in to it a couple of months ago. I guess HOKA coming out with shoes that feel like you run on clouds really do help with the impact of running ..
I'm not a big fan anymore of the larger organized events as they got too big and crowded but I did/do enjoy the ones where you get to run through spaces that you normally can't. Did a couple of city runs through historical buildings, ran on freeway and "peaked" at the Brussels half marathon.
Trying to get back now to an acceptable pace (slow and steady keeps me from getting re-injured for now)Ā but close to that consistent 5k again and would love to be able to run a full marathon by the time I'm 45 (only 4 short more years..)
Still hoping for some Atlassian branded running shirts
I love jogging! Unfortunately, now it's harder to find time for that, so running becomes more of an occasional thing now. But I'm planning to get back on track Running helps me clear my mind, so I prefer listening to music while jogging.Ā
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.