HelloHow to disable Rovo chat and prevent users to play with it?Thank youVincent
Hello @VINCENT DUPONT ,
Welcome to the Atlassian Community!
As our official documentation mentions:
No, you can’t turn off Rovo. But you can deactivate AI in any of your apps.
Rovo Search and Studio are now part of the Atlassian platform and are always available and always on.
But don’t worry, this doesn’t mean you have to use AI. Organization admins can control what apps use AI (including Rovo AI features) by activating or deactivating AI in your apps. More on managing AI in your apps
Doc link: https://support.atlassian.com/organization-administration/docs/activate-or-deactivate-rovo-on-your-site/
I find it bizarre that an AI feature is enabled by default with no means to disable it _fully_ when we are in the age of the AI Act and AI policies where we have to review and verify the legal terms and that feature abilities do not conflict with company policies.It seems 'rushed' as a release (even though its gone through long enabling process and beta), and seems to care little for companies with mature AI policies & processes governing AI use.
Hi - I have noticed ROVO is turned on in my site but our Company hasn't approved it - it is also such a big thing that it needs to be rolled out properly with material to support users - it is going to be absolute chaos if people try to use it out of curiosity and the amount of queries that are going to come my way doesn't even bear thinking about.
Why do Atlassian do this? It should be an organisation / site choice whether to have a feature or not.
Completely agree.
Atlassian, please rethink your strategy for such rollouts to include mature companies with policies that they must uphold. Enabled by default (and even worse with no ability to disable it) is not a correct strategy.
We are healthcare and so haven't activated AI as it's not currently HIPAA compliant. And yet, today, I see Rovo is active and can't turn it off. (All other AI is deactivated.) This is very concerning.
@Hector Menchaca Not everything needs to be AI all the time. Please make disablement possible for Rovo. It's incredibly wasteful to have an ai summary everytime you just want to search for a confluence document.
Here because i learned from my employer that Rovo cannot be disabled on Confluence search.
I find it annoying to have a big block of Content-Layout-Shifting, AI-generated text above all the document results that are actually valuable to my searching.
Plus, knowing that my document-content-specific keyword search terms are being fed to a resource-hungry LLM that wastefully spits back a guess at the definition of an acronym is upsetting. I didn't ask a question that needs an "Answer". I searched for keywords in documents.
Why would a feature like this NOT be opt-in. And why, at the very least, would such an intrusive feature not come along with a "Hide" or "Disable" button?
@mmurray we have opened a FR for that, please vote and comment on it:
Sorry, but I do worry.
Also, Atlassian makes me pay for even the smallest things, like archiving projects, to I assume maximize revenue. Yet for some reason this is not only free, but forced on my users. With no explanation.
Yes
Because Atlassian is selling your info, or profiting from it on the side.
Absolutely this. My company uses Confluence as a wiki, and there are often specific pages that I am looking for (but have not necessarily bookmarked, or do not remember the exact names of) and therefore search for via Confluence.Often times, I do not need or want an AI summary of my search, as I am not even asking a question but rather looking for a specific resource, written by a known subject-matter expert at my company.Having an AI summary appear by default above all other results in such queries is just bad design, as it wrongly assumes such summaries are always more relevant and useful. Especially since AI summaries are much slower to generate than typical search results; even when it is useful information, it still slows down my workflow significantly.
I know other AI summaries are designed in similar ways (including from a common search engine), but that doesn't mean Atlassian has to follow poor design practices here.
I am also fed up of every product under the sun adding AI. AI is useful where you have a valid use case.
I can not see one for JIRA or Confluence for our work. Also AI should always be opt in an not forced on us.
I hope Atlassian rethink their silly policy on AI.
At least stop promoting it with a blocking dialog every 5 minutes. This is the third time today JIRA has interrupted what I'm doing to tell me about Rovo chat
Given how divisive AI is, I'd also welcome preferences to turn this off at the user level, even if the organisation has enabled it. To me it is just cluttering up the UI, I have zero interest in using this.
In shot atlassian lean their LLM with our data .... without asked us !
@Hecto this is since ages the only reply Atlassian have ... opening a FR for ... and then tickets fall in abyss month after month without any fixes / changes!This is a know trick used for Jira/confluence ... opening a ticket FR .... and nothing will change and tommorrow another FR ticket.....
Proof ? Hoo June 2025 we are in 2026 and nothing changed as expected !
@Hector Menchaca There is a huge governance issue. The problem is know since 2 years, and now there is many more Rovo notifications. Please take care urgently of these tickets.
It is not only annoying to use Jira, but there is also ethical considerations (treatment of our data, energy and water consumptions by artificial "intelligence", carbon emissions linked to that). There is a huge drought here in Western Europe after several heat waves, so it is morally unbearable to not allow users to switch off completely or partially these "functionnalities".
Please take care of your clients, and of the planet.
@Christopher Johnston It is completely unacceptable. Have this problem been resolved ? If not, I will not only not recommend Atlassian products, but rather apologize to stop using them. I am very angry with that, our healthcare data is very sensitive.
8 months later, and it actually has gotten worse. Now we've got daily popups reminding us to finally use ROVO or "AI Agents". I've counted up to 6 buttons asking me to interact with Atlassian's "AI" on the same page, depending on where I am in JIRA or Confluence.
On top of that, ROVO's (often hallucinated) answer (when/if it eventually finishes loading after a minute or so) clutters up search results and is also asking me for feedback about it. I always felt search was the weakest point in Atlassian's products. But instead of finally improving search we get more ROVO.
Have you ever wondered why the forum isn't open to the public and is only accessible to registered account?Maybe it's to hide the truth: a severe lack of communication. Atlassian doesn't listen to its customers.Day after day , Atlassian make chaotic move ... AI , UI interface break ... what a pity for a such expensive product !
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.