I associate my favorite part of springtime (mild weather before it gets terribly hot and humid in the southern US) with Easter. One Easter, my sister and I got Easter baskets that had toys in them. The most memorable toy was the Skip It.
I have great memories of us figuring out how to get the Skip It moving, then being so fast that the ball came off the ground and the counter wasn't picking up our revolutions. So then came the calibration period- perfecting the technique to make sure all of your efforts were counted. Iterative skill development.
It was a dangerous time as well, though. If you got too close to a moving Skip It or managed to hit yourself while playing, those things could leave quite a bruise!
I loved spring when I was a kid in upstate New York. It meant a change from sledding, ice skating, and board games in the basement to hopscotch, red rover, and hide and seek. It also meant softball season—I played in a town league every year from the age of 8 through 15.
Spring is my favorite time of year too ~ not too hot, not too cold, flowers blooming. Time to play some cornhole!
With the snow quickly leaving, when I was looking to entertain myself, that meant it was time for me to grab my baseball glove and a ball and throw it up on the garage roof and wait to catch it rolling off the roof. Also there was throw it up in the air and catch it, or throw it up in the air and hit it with a bat.
When friends were over, we'd breakout in a game in the yard, hoping the ball doesn't get stuck in a tree and with whatever was "close enough" to represent the bases.
I always love the change in seasons that I get to experience here in Wisconsin. Spring weather means more outside time, some gardening and yard work, and just soaking up the sun while working on my patio. I love seeing the flowers and trees blooming here and even enjoy some of the rainy days we experience. ☔️💐
@Kristján Geir Mathiesen wow! Another fabulous topic. My favorite Adult spring activities are "Pick up sticks" and "Clean the Windows".
Realistically, I like to watch the farmer plant the crops in the field. Nothing happens when they're done for a while, and then all of a sudden you have rows of little corn or soybean plants coming up out of the ground. We do also play "What was planted?" at the same time.
Some of my favorite birds come back, like a Say's Phoebe that I heard calling this morning and just saw at lunchtime for the first time this year! The brightly-colored warblers also return, as do the Western Meadowlarks if I drive about a mile away to hear them. I'm in New Mexico, and our "bright" time of year for nature is actually summer -- all the fruit on the cacti bloom and draw multiple kinds of bees, butterflies, and birds. But spring is beautiful here, too.
I wish I could run like her during Spring. Allergies are refraining me from any outdoor activities.
I was miserable while attending Team25, I barely was able to open my eyes.
Seeing less and less Spring each year, I'm afraid 😕 It's like lower than 10°C or higher than 30°C; not many days in between.
But yeah, as Winter passes by, I could switch from running on a treadmill to outside jogging, walking or hiking. Just before Team I cleaned my terrace and prepared it for sitting outside and having my morning coffee 🧹
Spring isn't much of a change in seasons where I live, but I do enjoy the activities that happen each year such as the Cherry Blossom Festival and seeing the spring magnolias blossom.
Well this is much harder to do now as the authentic, antique equipment is becoming harder to find. But another rite of spring back in the day was of course.. Lawn Darts!
Now keep in mind, these were not to be played at night, and took a little prowess. You didn't want to throw these like regular darts, as they were a bit hefty. Jut a nice gentle arc, lofting through the air, and then coming down, pointy tip forward to land gracefully stuck in the ground, in or near the target.
Each participant, as well as any person within 50 feet of the playing area, had to be paying attention, as misthrow darts (wait, I mean tossed, not thrown) were notorious to get off target and land close to the unsuspecting uncle that was trying to get caught up with cousin Timmy at the Family picnic.
Future version of these were made with blunt, soft tips. Thus ending the Lawn Dart craze, because what fun was that!!!
My favorite memories are of the flowers and trees blooming and greening up. Life just seemed to pick up again. Especially love to see the daffodils in the spring.
Thanks for all your comments!
Hi
When I was a child I loved to go to my grandmother's village and play with my gang in the street, buy sweets and then it was dinner time to go back home, then we would meet again until our families called us to sleepI remember that time of my life with great happiness.
Regards
Doesn't make much of a difference here in Malaysia . It's just hot sun and heavy ready with lightning and thunder every other day.
Cold Days are over and you can walk outside . nad its not to hot . Love it.
Seeing the first signs of spring has always been a very special time for me, especially when I lived in a house at the bottom of the mountain near Sofia, where winter days were so short (winter sunset was about 3 PM).
Spring for me always meant longer hikes and spending more time outside doing activities like walking, riding a bike, or helping with some garden work.
I got excited about spring and opened all the windows for fresh air. A nice breeze came in… along with a whole bunch of leaves & dust! So, I had to spend the next hour, cleaning ;-(
Love being out in the sun in spring, picnics making flower crowns things like that.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.