If I create a new repo and attempt the first commit I get this error..
*** Please tell me who you are.
Run
git config --global user.email "you@example.com"
git config --global user.name "Your Name"
to set your account's default identity.
Omit --global to set the identity only in this repository.
however I know the global config is run, and even re-running those commands doesn't fix it. If I run
git config -l
I can see my email and name is already set ok.
It does work though if I omit the --global param and therefore set my email and name explicity for the current repository. So i have to do that every time I create a new repo for it to work.
Am new to git so may have this wrong but assumed that it should be able to pick up the global settings so I don't have to re-tell it my email and name for each repo?