20+ years ago, my about 7 years old nephew was glued to his Nintendo Game Boy, playing some extremely important game involving moving nothing more than a few fingers.
Trying to get him to do something more active, we had this exchange:
Me: "You know, when I was your age, we didn't have Game Boys."
Him: (gasp) "What did you do?"
Me: "We used our imagination."
Him: "Oh. And you pretended you had Game Boys?"
So sad (and I fear that it hasn't gotten any better since). When I was a kid, we had 3 television channels and were kept blissfully unaware of what was happening in the wider world. We made up games and stories to entertain ourselves and others.
Where would we be today without the imagination of such people as Walt Disney, the Brothers Grimm, Dr Seuss, and Thomas Edison? What if Martin Luther King Jr. never had a dream? (yes, today is Martin Luther King Day in the US)
Yesterday was National Imagination Day. Where do you see the state of (non-AI-related) imagination today? How do you/can we foster imagination in young people today?
via GIPHY
Happy Monday, all. Hope it's a great week.