Hello, Fellow Jira Administrators!
Have you ever found yourself in situations where Jira’s built-in tools, standard GUI, scripting, or even the REST API just aren’t enough? Tasks like performing bulk changes involving tens of thousands of issues, renaming Issue Security Levels, changing custom field types, bulk updating fields of issues in non-editable statuses, renaming user groups, merging usernames, or similar advanced operations can be extremely challenging—or even impossible—within Jira’s standard capabilities.
This becomes particularly relevant during Jira migrations, large-scale cleanups, or when managing highly customized instances.
Over my 15+ years of working with Jira across various versions in heavily loaded production systems for large enterprises, I’ve often resorted to what I call “Forbidden JIRA Administration”. This involves direct database edits and other unconventional techniques to solve problems Jira’s native tools cannot handle.
While these methods are inherently risky, I’ve been able to execute them successfully by adhering to the principles of risk-aware change management and safe deployment, ensuring system stability and data integrity.
I’d Love to Hear From You!
- Have you ever used database manipulations or other “forbidden” methods to manage your Jira instance? For what kind of tasks?
- What challenges, risks, or surprises have you encountered while performing such operations?
- How do you ensure safety and reliability when stepping outside Jira’s standard tools?
I’m looking forward to hearing your stories, experiences, and insights! Let’s collaborate and share best practices for tackling the limits of Jira.