In SourceTree you can create branches with no problem, but how do you create a Orphan branch?
I was researching this the other day, and couldn't find an answer to it either. Best bet is to do it from the command line. In sourcetree, click on terminal, then run git checkout --orphan NEWBRANCH.
I do not believe SourceTree provides a way to do this in the UI. I imagine usage of "orphan" branches is so rare that if they DID support it, they would have more people using it on accident and panicking ("WHERE DID MY FILES GO?!?!?!?!1111") than they would have people using it on purpose.
Additionally, the required command is so simple, it doesn't really add a huge burden to those of you who have a legitimate use.
such people should not use git.
Additional info: after running
git checkout --orphan <NEWBRANCH>
You can run
git rm -rf .
to clear the index and the working tree right after creating the orphan branch.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.