I'm no accountant, and I don't sell any physical products, but I still found myself in need of a way to keep track of inventory.
How? It all started with Paprika.
Since getting a camper earlier this year, I've spent a good amount of time stocking things up in there so I don't have to bring so many things back and forth every time I use it. And it's worked pretty great, except I can never remember if I have paprika.
And it became obvious I was not able to keep track when I looked in my spice rack and saw three containers of paprika 😂
So how could Trello solve this?
Naturally, I asked myself how I could use Trello to solve this. So I created a board with lists for the different categories of things I keep in my camper (yes, one list is called Spices) and cards for each item in that category.
I also created a custom field called Quantity for storing—you guessed it—the number of that item available.
This is a fantastic solution because next time I'm away from the camper and wondering if I need to bring paprika, I can open my Trello board (from my phone or my computer!) and see if I have paprika.
This was already starting to be pretty useful.
Then I asked... How can I make it even better?
And then I kicked it up a notch.
I added some simple automation rules that made this board even more useful by:
✅ Sorting the list alphabetically every time a new card was added, that was items were easy to find
✅ Decreasing the quantity custom field by 1 when pressed one button on a card
✅ Adding labels to items that had a low quantity
Watch this video to see it in action and set it up for yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7FiWBMkFFU
But wait, I'm not an accountant and I don't have a camper. Why do I care about inventory?
Maybe you want to keep track of items that you have in your kitchen at home, or a vacation home. Or maybe you want to keep track of office supplies so you know when to reorder. You could even do it with home cleaning supplies! It's a great way to have a digital inventory for ensuring you're never too low on something but also not buying anything unnecessarily.