At the time of this writing, thousands of Atlassian enthusiasts will descend upon Las Vegas for Atlassian's global Team conference. The anticipation leading up to this event was in full gear even before last year's event ended, and groups across the world have been preparing to see the new frontier that continues to be built for an increasingly collaborative world.
"Impossible Alone" continues to be the theme of this year's Team conference. Thinking on this theme, I spent the past month reflecting on the personal career growth that has occurred, and how the things I am doing today at work are things that are...well...impossible to do alone.
It's easy for us to see the importance of a team in our professions, we do have to work together. Even the more socially isolating role still requires collaboration to produce a cohesive product/service. But what about in your non-professional life? Have you recently been in a situation where you tried to do something on your own that would have been much better had someone been with you?
We are currently a one-car family, and every time I load something in the trunk I see this Class III 2 inch trailer hitch that I installed on our car so that we could haul bikes around more effectively:

I browsed the instructions, which recommended having someone help me, but I figured the second person would only prop the hitch up underneath the car so I could bolt it into the frame. I could rig some sort of alternative. Since I was alone (my wife was away) I figured it would be a little bit more difficult but not impossible.
Everything was fine up until I had to lift the hitch up in place so I could connect it to the car frame. Cleaning the rust around the holes, cutting into the plastic underside, everything was easy to do for one person (thanks YouTube). But these hitches are heavy and for good reason (think 60+ pounds). So here I was, with the rear of the car elevated, trying to hold a heavy hitch in place so I could put some bolts in, but I could not hold the hitch evenly against the car to put the bolts in! I struggled for a good 30 minutes, before I had a great, non-additional person idea.
Scrap Wood!
Thankfully I had some scrap wood from previous solitary projects that I could use. If I stack enough of them in just the right place, then I could put the hitch on the wood, then it would brush right up against the car, then I could be on my merry way.
2 hours later.
I am a sweaty mess, and one of my neighbors walked by. We chatted for a bit (I needed a break), and I explained I was putting the hitch on the car. I am horrible at asking for help (I am pretty stubborn and independent). But I was at my wits end so I coughed up the courage to ask my neighbor if he could spare a couple of hands to help me hold the hitch in place while I got a couple of bolts in.
10 minutes later.
I'm done! The hitch is firmly fastened to the car, all that is left is cleanup. How much time could I have saved had I had the courage to ask a neighbor friend to help me! My stubbornness cost me time that day - time that I will never get back. Every time I walk around the back of the car and see that hitch, I think of that hot Sunday afternoon in August where I spent too much time doing something alone that could have been done quickly with a friend. And as I get older, I realize that there are more and more things that are indeed, impossible alone, and life is much more enriching when you have help.
So I know I am not the only one out there that tried too long to do something difficult on my own. I'm curious to know what your story is - when was the last time you tried doing something by yourself outside of work that would have been better off with some help?