I'm new to git, having used other (non-distributed) version control systems in the past. I'm looking to move my department to git, but need an easy-to-use tool for the majority of the team that has no experience in version control. There will be some advanced users, but probably a majority of the team needs a way to version control/backup their work with minimal fuss (and I'd like to stay on a single platform). I like the idea of SourceTree because it is a standalone application (no potentially confusing Explorer extensions for Windows).
So, to the point - I'm going through various tools (and version control systems) to figure out which ones are powerful enough for the advanced users, while simple enough for those less inclined. Step 1 is simply setting up the initial repositories... for DVCS, that would be the local repo and a central repo on a server. Due to company IT infrastructure, the central repo will simply be hosted on a network drive on a server (no SSH/http). Setting up the local repo seems straightforward enough (It looks like it might be a little intimidating for some of our users, but I think I can manage to train them on that part.) But even I can't figure out how to set up the remote repo using SourceTree. The git documentation I read says to do a
git clone --bare
But I don't see how to do that. I can't even create a new bare repo on the server that I could theoretically push to (or initially pull from).
Am I missing something?