One of the designations for March 25th is Tolkien Reading Day, apparently because it corresponds to the fall of Sauron in The Lord of the Rings.
I first read The Lord of the Rings trilogy in high school, and I've probably read it 5 times throughout my life. Strangely, I've only seen the full 3 movies once, even though someone bought me all the DVDs and they are also shown on television periodically.
I have also read The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, and Farmer Giles of Ham.
I've never read The Hobbit, though I have listened to it (and seen the movies). A friend in college had the "audiobook" that we used to listen to. It was on 4 records, so you needed to make sure you played the correct side in the correct order. One passage has stuck in my mind all these years (not sure if this is the exact wording or correct punctuation):
They came to a town by a lake. Lake Town, a precise, if somewhat unimaginative, name.
I have found that most of my generation of tech folks are big fantasy and science fiction readers, so have you read Tolkien? What are your favorites? Do you prefer the books or movies?