Hey @Kristján Geir Mathiesen!
Growing up, my parents took my sister and I camping a lot in a tent trailer. We had a number of board games and card games that we played as a result.
One that really stands out as I played it with a number of coworkers at a previous job is: Euchre.
If you haven't played, it has a bit of a learning curve to the rules, but once you start to get into the game it's quite addictive.
I played this as well. It's called Speed in the US. I get so worked up playing it!
Card games? We would play 500, 500 Rummy, or Gin Rummy. Of course there's always Solitare.
While us kids went to bed at my neighbor's cabin on the floor, less than 10 feet away, the adults were up playing cards.
Growing up I used to play some bit of carrom. For folks, who may not know about it. This is what Wikipedia says about carrom.It was fun and I was never any good at it. It used to be cousins playing together in between laughs & trivial fights. Fun all the same!Attached an image for reference.
Hello @Kristján Geir Mathiesen For my case, Monopoly has been a timeless favorite in our family! I still remember playing it with my cousins, parents and it was so much fun! We still do it sometimes by the way 😀
My family were not that into games, mostly because of Dad.
We did a lot of card games though - Mum, and her parents, played a lot of Rummy and a bit of Canasta, Whist, and quite a lot of Cheat when Grandad was around. I only ever remember my father's side of the family trying to teach us Contract Bridge, at a time when my sister was a little too young to get it, so it didn't stick.
We sometimes did board games - mousetrap and cluedo were the only two I remember playing a lot. We gave up on monopoly very quickly, when we realised every one of us was playing to end the game as fast as possible!
Dad only ever played poker and chess. Both of which he stopped playing after he taught me how to be able to win against him 90% of the time. He is very good at chess, his teaching got me to second place in the county's under-11 chess team. He's teaching his grandchildren now, so I'm expecting a challenge from them next time I see them (I'm going to lose, I've not played in years)
The lack of family gaming in my youth makes me wonder where I got my urge to play games from.
Our family loves games of all sorts! I cannot remember a day where we did not play a game (or at least put together a puzzle). My favorite memory is sitting on the floor playing jacks with my grandma, she did not let us win, so the first time I beat her was magical. She also taught us euchre, canasta, and solitaire, there was no such thing as "you are not old enough to play". Outdoors our go to was "Kick the can", but if it was dark, "Ghost in the Graveyard". Kept the tradition going with my kids and our favorite go to games are "Sequence" and "Peanuts".
In my family, we have 6 kids with less than 6 years from oldest to youngest (yes, my mom was basically pregnant for 6.5 years!), and we grew up in upstate New York, where winters were snowy and cold. We played a lot of games to keep us occupied when we couldn't or didn't want to go outside.
A few of my significant memories:
Playing Mille Bornes is another card game that was a fun to play too! It was kinda like a predecessor to Uno where you could improve your play, or penalize your opponents as well.
LOTS of card games....but we also got into Atari when it first came out. Yes ~ I'm that old. lol
Thanks guys for your comments! We are going to a cabin tomorrow over this long weekend and we are taking LOTS of boards games and decks of playing cards.
Ahh, Speed! Thanks @Holly Scott
I re-read the title to make sure I was responding properly. My initial thought was why is everyone referring to card and board games only, and then I realized the prompt was in your family. So I had to give this some thought.
We didn't. Period.
Not that I had a bad upbringing or came from a loveless house. My parents encouraged us to enjoy the outdoors and play with friends from a young age. I grew up in a time and place where our parents never worried where we were or who we were with - the entire neighborhood knew each other and looked out for one another. So we ran, played, explored and did a ton of tootling around on our bikes as kids. My parents never HAD to play games with us since they always allowed us to go to friends' houses and our friends into our house.
I have absolutely no memories of playing cards, chess, checkers, backgammon or board games with my parents - or my brothers. We were each 3 years apart and always had different groups of friends.
#TBT to simpler times...
Hi @Kristján Geir Mathiesen and everyone in the community,
My family used to play the game of Hand and Foot a lot when I was growing up, especially on vacations to Lake Powell! The objective of Hand and Foot is to get rid of all the cards in your "Hand" and then get into your "Foot" and then get rid of those to have the most points for your team. It is a bit complicated until you get to learn it, but it is so much fun.
On another note, the game I loved playing the most with my numerous brothers and sisters was Sorry! I absolutely loved Sorry! So much fun trying to beat all my siblings!
Board games were mainly Clue, Risk, and Monopoly. We had a neighborhood kid who liked to get us to recreate the gong show in her backyard.
I played a lot of cricket in my childhood until I was 21. I would have missed school, but I would never have missed cricket.
#throwback-thursday
We didn't play that many games before comparing to today. Whenever I go home, I try to bring a set of board games and these days we usually play Catan, Splendor and Yamb. In the past, we mostly played Monopoly and Mensch ärgere Dich nicht (which in English would be something like Hey, Don't Get Angry). 🎲
We played a lot of cards growing up - Rummy, crazy eights, things like that. But also dominoes, Sorry, Parcheesi, checkers, and other simple board games
Growing up we played lot of games,
Board Games, Card Games, Batmentan, Co-co (indian game), Kabadi (indian game) and mostly Cricket.
Cycle rasing, running in sand. etc.. lot of them..
Vikram P
Hi @Kristján Geir Mathiesen ,
What a nostalgic topic! Childhood is time for fun and games with friends and family! At our home we played quiz games and card games and board games like Ludo and Snakes and Ladders. Of these, the last two were clear favorites!
We still play it during holidays and family travels! We also played carrom sometimes!
I was pretty much into Carroms, Gin Rummy, Black Jack, Softball / Rounders, Board games - Monopoly, Masterpiece, Cludo, Checkers, and Video Games - Classic Sega Megadrive.
Hey @Kristján Geir Mathiesen
I was pretty much involved into Video Games, Snake and Ladders, Ludos,badmindon, kite flying, marbles and asta changa :P
Stay Alive (game) - Wikipedia was a big winner in our house. We still have it but there are some missing balls and the company does not do spares anymore :-(
There were a lot. I remember playing cribbage with my grandparents at a very young age... not because it was age appropriate, but more because it was what they knew how to play, so they taught me. I am now able to count to 15 very fast and in many ways.
Love this kind of throwback - family card games always come with a bit of chaos.Thanks for explaining the rules, it actually sounds really fun (and intense).
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.