Hi!
Do you plan to release SourceTree for Linux?
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the support and interest in a Linux client. Unfortunately, we do not have any plans to build SourceTree for Linux.
Best,
Rahul
Hi there,
We currently have no plans for Linux yet.
Thanks
please make some plans
Ubuntu/Linux is great and one thing that is missing is your very good software
Linux is used by much more developers than mac osx. You are not making a funny, colourfull plastic apple toy for girls that are 14years old, but you are making a serious programmers tool - so you should also consider serious platforms
We basically do things by popularity for our service, not on a general level. We want to make as many developers as happy as possible. We've had a huge influx of Linux requests, so perhaps we'll be taking it into more serious consideration in the near future. As it stands, we have no plans for a Linux version, we're focussing on making the Mac and Windows experience better.
The last time people demanded a Windows version, they made requests on a thread of answers on this system, that's one of the ways we guaged the massive demand for it. Perhaps further persistence will lead to action - we are listening though, we promise!
persistence++;
+1 for a linux client
+1 for a Linux-Client or at least a description how to make it run on Mono.
We've not attempted to make it work under Mono, but as far as I'm aware Mono doesn't support running applications written in some of the frameworks we use.
That's a pitty. Why you have choose c# if you only wan't to run it unter windows?
Anyways does this mean a Linux version has no chance?
We don't want to run SourceTree to only be on Windows. SourceTree is for both the Mac and Windows (and for the last few years has been a Mac-only application). The Mac and Windows development streams are different. The Mac version is written in Objective-C and the Windows version in C#. We targeted the platforms specifically for the best possible experience by leveraging the platform-specific features.
We don't have any immediate plans for Linux, but that could change, just as it did for Windows. Right now we're focussing on making the Mac and Windows versions better.
Sorry for forgotten the Mac version. For me c# is still a programming language to get platform independent software. How ever I can understand your point and you are right KDE oder Gnome-programs have not always the best possible experience on Windows.
Best option would be to make the code opensource, so that a port becomes possible.
C# was written to target specifically Windows and was never intended for the Mac or Linux (and that hasn't changed). It just happens that Mono was developed, and even then, it took a few developers three years to get it working for a major release. Even then, there are features from Windows that aren't supported through Mono (WPF, for example).
SourceTree for Windows was written in C# because we want to target specific platforms, hence the re-write for Windows from the Mac version. If we were to write a Linux version the same principle would apply.
Why didnt you choose the Java / Qt libraries (C++ / Python) / C# with mono ready libraries / Web application bundled with for example chrome? You would have 1 codebase and crossplatform product ...
This was all taken into consideration when we discussed how we were going to go about it. The end decision was to target the platform using libraries/languages specifically for that platform. My comment on this thread answers this already.
I would like to add my voice to the many Linux Version requesters. Sourcetree is beautiful, but I can't bear to leave the security and open source nature of Linux!
Hoping for a linux version soon...
+1 for SourceTree in Linux.
+1 for a Linux version!
+1 Linux. I'd be willing to pay $50 for linux license, since you abandoned us maybe money will motivate you. Although we like 'free and open source', for all the money I've saved not buying microsoft or adobe products, I am more than able to send you 50/license for great software. Keep that in mind. This is not an idle threat. I *will* give you money, believe it.
Yeah, I would also like to donate then - Flattr or other donation button would be great
+1 for Linux.
I give my vote for Linux version too. I saw ST at my colleagues using Macs and I have to admit that it is brilliant piece of software
+10000000 for Linux version.
…hoping it would work under FreeBSD too. (it can run Linux binaries)
So Atlassian - seems that open source community waits
Some of us:
And some others:
+1 for Linux version.
Remember that exist Git thanks to Linus Torvalds and their team.
I too will donate for that.
+1 for a Linux version. Linux is still lagging a comprehensive git gui bare "smart git". No Tortoise Git for Linux eighter (the Linux fork is in early alpha stages). A port to Linux would be awesome, even if we have to wait a bit
+1 for linux. +100 for open-source. I too would love to see a linux port of this. I've been using it on both Mac and Windows recently and it's a great piece of software. The suggestion of making it open source and allowing the linux community to "build it for you" is also excellent. There are a lot of talented people out there who I'm sure would love to help port it for Linux.
Yes, there are a few GUI GIT applications for Linux, but nothing as nice as this. I think you would have a huge market there. I know I would use it.
+1 for Linux and open Source
+1 for Linux. I would pay for this too!
+1 I sorely miss Sourcetree when I am working on GNU/Linux.
+1 Linux Version please!
Supporting a platform with no Entry costs for developers will surly boost the popularity of your already excellent services!
+1 for Linux
+1 pretty please?
+1 for Linux please.
I'd love to see a SourceTree version for Linux (specifically Ubuntu). We're all using it in the office (on Macs) and it's brilliant. Unfortunately, I'm unable to use it out of the office, on my Linux machine.
+1 for Linux Especially Ubuntu
Yup, was surprised, that possibly the best GUI for git is not present on the platform that is (was) git's raison d'etre. thats some industrial grade irony there..
I'm the second one vk... u.u
Although the Windows version seems to have stalled, no updates in months, and no mention of why the delays, and some nasty bugs and performance problems hanging around.
For a full cross-platform framework, I would rather recommend having a look at Lazarus RAD IDE / platform. It works flawlessly on Windows / Mac / Linux, with a native experience. It recently came out as 1.0, and is one of the most underrated open source frameworks out there!
Lazarus? Are you serious? It's Pascal!
You sir, have hit the nail on the head .
If you're willing to pay money, SmartGit is a great alternative and works on all platforms.
It's free for non-commercial use. Enjoy.
Agreed. I used to like Smart Git, but after using SourceTree, I have to admit it's just not as good.
+1 for linux
For private use gitkraken is worth to try.
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-2991
Login and upvote!
Haha ! this will be the biggest joke of this century!!!
Agree, doesn't have to be feature rich. Just add a feature for people to donate to make it better if you don't want to charge and this could easily resolve the resource situation. I'm curious about the nature of a blocker. I'd like to suggest that there are easy work arounds to nearly anything they would be able to share with us.
Mac vs Linux... isnt that almost a UI based port? I mean Mac is primarily Linux under the hood right?
I think Mac is FreeBSD, not Linux. But they're very close.
There's definitely more than just a UI port, but that isn't the reason this isn't happening. Atlassian isn't going to do it. They could have done it 6 years ago if they wanted to. They hinted at it, then abandoned the idea.
Also, we (as developers) could have just made a solid Linux version of it by now if we just tried and open sourced it. If we made it in Electron (or similar), we could make it cross platform with an entire community maintaining it and leaving the Atlassian anti-developer attitude in the past.
@Gary Cartagena Well, they are 'SIMILAR' under the hood, but both two are different. As @Matt Kernes said, FreeBSD is UNIX(or, UNIX-like system), not Linux.
@Rahul Chhabria Please think about it again.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.