Hi all,
I'm in the B2B SaaS product space and giving JPD a try, having had no good or formal legagy system in place to manage ideas (problems, opportunities) so far. Product development is driven by a small number of customers, as well as the broader vision for the product.
I am trying to make sure every idea on the board is explicitely connected to a business objective (goal). I'm stumbling, somewhat to my surprise, on the issue of whether, and how, to differentiate between customer/user objectives for the product (e.g. save time, reduce costs, enable new revenue streams etc.), and our own objectives for the product (e.g. grow revenue, improve market penetration etc.).
This feels like a very obvious conundrum that only my inexperience or a long week make confusing to me, and wondered how folks are tackling it.
I'm thinking, at the end of the days, if the objective is valid, it doesn't matter if it's a customer's or the company's, there's no need to differentiate. Or my company's objectives can be considered implicit and don't need to be surfaced here, ensuring the product is aligned with customers' objectives is what matters here.
Any thoughts on the topic welcome :-)
Thanks