I am having an issue where git is trying to merge contents from completely different files into each other and if it really breaking my project as you can imagine. Here is an example of what I see after a merge:

What's extra special is that it seems that the file being merged in HEAD is pulling it's contents from another file, and the remote branch is the one that has correct contents in this case, but I do see it happening the other way around as well where the current head is the correct contents.
Anyone have any thoughts on this? It is happening to us on multiple projects, for multiple developers.
EDIT: to add some detail. In the case above, the XRGeneralSettings.asset.meta file does not yet exist in HEAD. This merge should simply be creating it from the remote branch, but instead, there is a conflict being generated.