Hey folks,
I'm using Trello to manage home renovation project planning. I have a parent card for each project with a checklist that generates a new linked card each time a task is added (shoutout to Katrin Anger for the rad suggestion in another post!)
Here's the bones of that automation;
when an item is added to checklist "Project Tasks " in a card not in list "Start Here", convert the item to a linked card using pattern "{checklistitem}" copying members, set custom field "Project" to "{triggercardname}", and add an empty checklist named "Sub Tasks" to the card
So, now I have a parent card, say "Water Tanks" and linked cards for tasks, say "Concrete Prep", "Pour Pad", "Install Tanks".
I also have a custom field "duration" that I want to use to calculate project hours (and later to be able to automate timelines using hours and start dates to estimate completion dates).
QUESTION:
How do I set up an automation to calculate for the PARENT card, the sum of the durations of all the linked cards? It's tricky, because the number of linked task cards will vary across projects. I don't know how to write that for an unknown number of linked cards...
The parts are (I think);
- The parent card has the label "PROJECT"
- Each linked task card has the label "Project Tasks"
- Every card related to a project has the custom field "project" populated with the project name, eg "Water Tanks"
- Every card has a custom field "Duration"
What I'd like is something along the lines of;
- When the custom field "Duration" is updated on a card with the label "Project tasks",
- calculate the sum of the "Duration" fields on all the cards linked to the parent card (which also has a checklist that has all the linked cards)
- and populate the "Duration" field on the parent card with that sum.
My strong preference is to use Butler for this, I'm cool to also use powerups, but don't want to use google scripts or other coding solutions (not my bag, and I want to be able to replicate the nuts & bolts of the automation in other contexts)
Thanks for your lovely wise brains!