Having turned 40 in April, I recently came out of the other side of my mid-life crisis this year. I managed to avoid some of common side effects like buying a sports car or motorbike😀.Â

I did however come to realise that there is not a single thing in life more valuable than time and set out on a mission to live each and every day with a newfound urgency.
I have to STOP wasting time, something that I am an expert in.
One of my biggest time wasters is my phone. It took a lot of soul searching to admitÂ
"I am addicted"
I don't use my phone, my phone uses me.  Â

Â
A quick addiction test.Â
If you use your phone whilst you're using the toilet without a seconds thought about how gross that is, you are indeed addicted...
Â
The hardest part is admitting it so now I am doing something about it: Up to now I have:
- Removed all apps that don't give me anything
- Disabled all notifications except calls and old school SMS messages
- Moved my phone charger to a corner of the bedroom so it is not within my reach when I'm in bed
- Keep my phone in a different room when working
- I started wearing a watch (first time since the year 2000) so I am not dependent the phone for time
- Have no phone rule when meeting friends and family
Â
My addiction is reasonably mild but younger generations have it really bad

I think back to my very first phone, in 1999. The legendary Nokia 5110.Â
Was I much different back then? I spent hours calling people with my free minutes, I was crazily trying hacks to get free SMS and wasted hours playing snake


Â
So, my questions for you are:
- What was your very first phone and what was its most addictive feature?
- What app on your phone:
- Do you waste the most amount of time on?
- Can you not live without?
- Here's the challenge...Will you join in with phone-free Friday, starting right now?!
- Put the phone in another room, in your bag, locked in your drawer. Out of sight, out of mind...
- Report back how many hours you managed to be phone-free for...