Am a noob to both Git and SourceTree.
We wish to use Git with shared repositories, created with:
mkdir shared_repo
cd shared_repo
git --bare init --shared
git --bare fetch myrepo master:master # import myrepo into shared_repo
then push/pull changes from shared_repo. ( Bare repos don't have a working tree, and so do not have a .git folder; all subfolders of the .git of a normal git repo are in main folder of repo init'd with --bare.)
But when I try to do a file | open on shared_repo in SourceTree, I get the msg "Invalid folder: the path ... does not refer to a working copy for Mercurial, Git or Subversion".
I can open and view shared_repo with gitk, and it appears to be a valid Git repo.
I can clone shared_repo and open the clone with no problem.
The question is, can I use SourceTree to open, view (and possibly modify) shared_repo , or can SourceTree only work with standard git repo's that have a working tree and a .git subfolder?