Happy Monday Everyone!
For those that aren’t aware today is Bring Flowers To Someone Day!
Have you heard of Floriography (language of flowers)? For centuries, cultures have said flowers tell a story based on the meaning of the flower. Each flower carries a special meaning with certain symbolism behind the flower. For example:
- Amaryllis = Pride
- Begonia = Beware
- Chrysanthemum, white = Truth
- Daisy = Innocence
- Hyacinth = Sport, Game, Play
- Lavender = Distrust
- Rose, red = Love
- Thyme = Courage, Strength
- Willow = Sadness
The act of giving flowers has been a custom dating back ancient times. History documents flowers as an important part of the social customs of Chinese, Egyptian, Greek, and Roman cultures.
Learning the special symbolism of flowers became popular during the 1800s. Nearly all Victorian homes had guidebooks for deciphering the “language”, flowers were primarily used to deliver messages that couldn’t be spoken aloud. There were also rules attached to flower giving. If someone gave a bouquet of roses to another and presented them upside down, the receiver would assume the flowers were given out of anger.
One tradition is to select the flowers of a wedding bouquet based on plant symbolism. I didn't know that, I just chose flowers I liked and I still remember the feeling, how much excited I was when I saw it for the first time. I still have it - I made a decoration from the dried flowers and placed it to our bedroom.

Do you have any story connected to flowers giving/receiving, which would you like to share? Which flowers do you like? Thank you.