I seem to have a misunderstanding about branches and remotes. In a tabbed column on the left I see several blue branches which I have been told are my local working branches. I was working on branch bugFix_FFT, which I had just committed and pushed to origin.
Further down there are grey branches under Remotes including releaseV4.x. which I need to merge into my branch. I did not have a working copy of releaseV4.x and was about to checkout a new branch. However my co-worker said I must first perform a fetch to update releaseV4.x before I created a branch from it. I thought that the branches under remote would already be up to date since they are in the bare repository but he said that the grey releaseV4.x was what my "view" thought was the current version and needed to be updated with a fetch.
So was the fetch necessary?
Thanks,
jh