Happy Thursday Everyone!
The latest episode of the Work Check Podcast dropped on Tuesday. If you haven't listened to it, go check it out!
First, I love these debates and I really hope this series continues to cover more topics into the future.
Let's start talking about this episode in particular. Christine started without actually laying much in the way of ground rules for this debate which meant that my gut reaction didn't need to change too much going into the debate.
My gut reaction was: "I work in a remote team, and our standup has evolved over time, and it's actually a really important part of the day."
Let's unpack this a bit more. I 100% agree with the "against" remote standup when everything is about people "justifying their job". I'm very lucky to work at a company that doesn't require everyone to feel the need to do this (in fact, for status updates we're using Atlas to get them out of the standup meeting).
Has my team always had an efficient standup? No. But, we have worked to improve the content of what we share to make sure that everything is relevant and we leave everything that isn't relevant to everyone at the end of the meeting or side conversations after the stand up meeting.
Things that become important. The third question in the standup is the most critical one for us. Are you blocked by anything and who/what do you need to become unblocked.
After listening to this episode, I'm 100% on board with the "Pro"-side of the stand up argument.
I'd love to hear your own thoughts in the comments below.