First off, I added this under the topic "Crowd" but it affects the complete stack of (on-prem) Atlassian tools .
Background: We are using the on-prem server versions of crowd, jira, confluence, bitbucket and bamboo. Crowd is connected to our windows active directory and syncs groups and users. Permissions in confluence, jira etc. are based on those active directory groups.
Today we need to change those group names to reflect organisational changes in our company. Everyone who was in this position probably already knows where I am going: changing group names (or making them reflect active directory group name changes) in any of the mentioned Atlassian products is not as easy as one might think.
This almost 20 year old feature request describes the issue. TL;DR is Atlassian uses the group name as the UID and therefore simply changing the name of a group changes the UID and breaks all assigned permissions.
While there are documented (but unsupported) SQL queries at least for JIRA and Confluence to somewhat workaround this limitation, I could not find such documents for Bitbucket and Bamboo. Also it being unsupported means if we break things we are all alone and support won't/can't help. No bueno.
We are not getting around renaming those groups, so one way or another I will have to migrate those permissions. I was just wondering how if anyone has done this in the past. Trust that the prepared SQL queries are working as expected? Spend days doing it manually? Also any hints or tricks would be greatly appreciated.