I have noticed that if you edit your own answer, it gives you Karma points. Does it make sense? Not in my case where I edited the answer to fix a grammar mistake!
What is the value behind this?
It sounds like the general sentiment is that editing is a good thing, but it's overvalued. I've changed it to 3 karma for both retagging and editing.
It must be to show that you care about the quality of your post and don't post items with ungood grammar...
</sarcasm>
Something that I do often in forums. In answers it translates to - Good grammar, better spelling, more Karma ! Nice
Fantastic for me - I can't type, or string a coherent paragraph together. I edit a lot...
I know, I feel like it's cheating. But I guess it does give people an incentive
Missed this reply, thanks to the notifications issue It isn't cheating I should say. And I guess the points are for editors(or power users) to correct other's questions or posts.
But there won't be an easy way for the application to identify what is legitimate. I guess it rely on the users to use it wisely. The question was asked because I was a bit surprised to see my points going up when I edited my post to fix a grammar mistake.
Fixing typos should be rewarded, definitely. When I search for answers I the result will depend on the key words beind spelt correctly. Unless the search engine is smarter then I imagine, that is.
If I make a mistake in my searching I can spot it and fix it. Guessing how other people misspell words is a nearly impossible task. At least not worth my time.
I don't think it's a good idea, in fact I dropped a link to the guy in charge of a.a.c about this earlier. As soon as someone realises (as they clearly now have!) it's going to be open to abuse.
Correct answer = 25 pts
Add a space to your own answer = 15 pts
Upvote = 15 pts
Those numbers don't add up to me.
Totally agree. In fact a vote on the comment have no Karma but editing a comment has?
It sounds like there's some pros and cons on both sides. To tell you the truth I hadn't thought about it too much until now - this was just a system default. Now that I think about it, I like the idea of encouraging grooming. I do a lot of it - changing titles, retagging, fixing grammar. Isn't it, overall, good to encourage tidying up?
In general I doubt many people are really gaming the system fo Karma, are they? Am I just being naive?
I don't see any point in gaming the system like that. Until I saw you can get a t-shirt
As my answer indicates I'm in favour encouraging some tidying up. But as Jamie points out, it is unfair to rate an edit as much as an upvote.
While it is nice for others to tidy up, I can really see people abusing the system by knowning how to cheat it. By giving people karma points for not answering questions/good question, you are essentially opening up an opportunity for bad guys to abuse the system. Say if someone edit his/her post so many times to get 20k karma, he/she can end up getting the power to delete someone's post or whatever evil thing he/she can do in here.
there are jsut people in this world that like to break rule..hence why we have admins!
+1pt would be fair. +15 is too much...
You might be being naive, or probably I'm being cynical. However, it's worth people getting to the top of the leaderboard, it's going to help get a job, and for partners to get work. So when there's a motivation, people will game the system.
Thanks, that sounds much better weighted. Hopefully it won't be backdated ;-)
And while you're there ;-) I agree with Jobin, a comment upvote has got to be worth 5 or 10 pts.
Hmm - actually I want to call that a bug. I thought it was worth the same as an answer. I've raised a JIRA issue to figure it out:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/ANSWERS-156
I think the value behind giving karma points for editing your own answer is a tyle of encouragement for users to always update and provide better answers and solutions.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.