Hello everyone,
This past week I kicked off a project with a client that is divesting from its parent company and is wanting to migrate all of the projects, spaces, users, and associated data from Jira and Confluence into a greenfield cloud environment. We did a migration assessment with them some time ago to determine if migrating to the cloud was a viable option for them.
These projects have brought forth a unique set of challenges that have stemmed from the needs and goals of the two companies involved. I'm curious if anyone else has gone through a move like this and what challenges you had to overcome, or issues you faced as part of that process. I'll go first.
For this project, we have not been granted any access to the source instance which is owned by the parent company. All of our discovery, planning, and actual hands-on-keyboard for the migration process are being done via screen shares, exports, and screenshots. We were lucky in that the admin group has made great use of categories and keys to make it easy to identify which projects and spaces belong to the divesting company. But we're having to contend with cross-contamination of users, particularly in Confluence.
The source instances are pretty complex, with a large number of projects and spaces overall, heavy use of add-ons, custom scripting and reporting tools, pretty much the works. But it turns out the projects and spaces tied to my client are largely being used out of the box.
It's been interesting doing everything through a proxy, but the team from the parent company I'm working with has been really great so it helps. I would assume other people's experiences are potentially influenced by the relationship between the two entities and the circumstances surrounding the divestiture.