Israel. 18 years old. I took a gap year after high school and it was the first time I was on a plane - at 18 I was certainly in the minority of first flyers at that age. All I knew about air travel was from the movies, so I sat with the barf bag in my lap for 11 hours. My friends told me 'oh yeah, everyone vomits on the plane'. I found out the truth - and started looking for new friends!
I guess I was a bit old when I first flew. When I first flew abroad, I was 28 years old, living in Istanbul/Turkey. The flight was to Prague, Czech Republic and I was delighted, even though it was January and too cold.
During the trip, we visited Terezin and Karlovy Vary. I'd definitely recommend it!
My first flight was from Belgium to Tunisia on holidays with my parents and my little brother. I was around 4 years old at the time. My second flight (and the first one I can remember) was when I was 10 years old (we flew to Florida for 7 days of fun ). Since then I've flown so much that I know the shortest routes in several different airports around the world Great question @Kristján Geir Mathiesen !
I'm in a similar boat I didn't travel by air until I was 23 years old. Even then my first trip was to the United States (Fort Worth Texas to be exact). It was a work trip. I worked in the support department for a software company and I was sent out to visit the customer site for the company that I was the customer advocate for.
Awesome topic! As far as a flight outside of the US, it was probably to Zurich, Switzerland back in 1999 or 2000. My wife was actually working in Germany for the week, and I tagged along on vacation. We rented a car and drove from Zurich into Bavaria, including a ferry ride across Lake Constance.
The USA is the first one I remember. But it was not the first time I had flown, only the first time I flew to another country.
Technically, my mum points out that my first 'plane flight was to Italy - my parents went to holiday in Rome a couple of months after they fell pregnant with me, but I don't think that counts.
The USA trip 40 years ago was a big one with many memories - a proper "jumbo" jet, transatlantic, and a bit of a tour - New York, Washington DC (visited the Whitehouse for my 10th birthday), Sun City in Phoenix (we had relatives there), LA and San Francisco.
My flights before the first international one were mostly in helicopters rather than 'planes. My mother and her parents used to holiday in the Isles of Scilly (Dad went once, but he doesn't do "beach", "hot", or "boat", and he gets sea-sick in the bath, so the isles are not a good place for him), and the best way to get there used to be a 20 minute helicopter flight from Penzance. We did it in a small 'plane once, but the helicopter was far more fun (especially in a storm where you can see lightning dance across a sea-scape!)
The United States when I was one. And my Titi was one of the flight attendants. Have been here ever since having gone back to Honduras once. I do plan to take my son to Italy in Spring next year which will be his first trip out of the country. Hopefully I can take him back to my home country soon as well.
Not another country but....
When I was 5, my parents put me on a plane alone (my mom's friend & daughter were along though) and I had never flown before. I was going to visit my grandparents in Phoenix, AZ.
I don't remember this myself, by my mom said that during the landing her friend told her the whole time I was screaming, we're all going to die!
Hi @Kristján Geir Mathiesen
My first travel out of my coutry is to Africa, Tanzania
First time I went out of country alone, it was terrible experience for me.
Vikram P
I was about 4 or 5 when our family took a trip to the Phillippines for my mother's parents' golden anniversary. I remember getting a set of pilots wings from the crew, but not much else about the flight.
My first international flight was from the US to Australia. I believe I was 20 years old. It was for a study abroad trip to Melbourne through my university. I had a fantastic experience overall, although I remember feeling nervous about being in the air for so long, especially over the vast expanse of the Pacific Ocean. But, I made it in one piece, after mostly watching movies the entire trip. I also remember how a sort of casual bond was formed with the other passengers, especially the ones sitting around me. Everyone knew the flight was long and at times claustrophobic or uncomfortable, so I found that most of the passengers were quite pleasant and graceful. I find it reassuring when those "we're all in this together" mindsets develop organically. I haven't been back to Australia since, but would love to go and see more of the country.
@Kristján Geir Mathiesen - great question!
The first country I flew to on an airplane was to Japan. When I was 17 years old, my father received orders from the US Air Force to move to Okinawa Japan. I remember the plane stopped at Yokota Air Base and then on to Okinawa where we landed at Kadena Air Base. The interesting thing was it was a chartered Delta Airlines flight, but it landed at the Air Bases; not at a commercial airport. I would love to go back to Japan one day. That is on my bucket list!
I was a bit old, 26 years I believe, when I first flew to a different country which was England. Moreover, I went there for my masters and to gain an international work experience after that. 3.5 memorable years of my life that I would never forget
for sharing. So fun to read about your adventures!
I think I was high school at the time. I went to China with my family and went on a tour through the major cities like Beijing and Shanghai. I remember it was difficult in some place to get around since I didn't speak the language but the food was delicious.
-Ben
My first plane abroad was to England and it was memorable, but not in a nice way. We had a lot of turbulence and I was nervous as it was my first time leaving the USA and had lied to my parents about it!
When I arrived at Heathrow, I answered the questions honestly.
Did I have any money on me? Yes, $10 USA Dollars.
Did I have a credit card? Sure do, American Express (in 2004... possibly not the most accepted in London at that time)
Did I have the address of where I was staying? Actually, now that you mention it, no...
Is someone here to collect you? Yes
Please go take a seat over in those chairs.
2.5 hours later, they had found my partner at the time in Arrivals and she explained that I was just stupid, not dangerous.
Honestly, I was more scared they would tell my parents than about being deported. Anyway, I had a black mark in that passport and they asked about it every single time I went somewhere for the next 10 years so now I always tell people. Write down all the details of where you are staying before you get on the plane!
My first travel was to France - Paris. I was 17 years old and I came to the World Youth Day.
Nice experience. At that time on the airplane, people can smoke
The UK when I was 21 🙈
First trip was when I was twenty something (can't really remember, but I think I was close to my 30s) to Germany and Berlin! After that I visited Berlin 3 more times! Best capital in Europe by far! If it could had the weather of Athens, then I would live there for sure.
I flew to China with my family. Glad we went on a tour. I remember it was so hard getting around certain areas because I didn't speak the language. oh...and that flight was so long. I think back then it was like a 14 hour flight. Was a lot of movie watching. lol.
Mine was UK too. I was 19.
@Kerli Loopman Ditto / Same pinch
America, I was very young.
I believe it was on holiday to Málaga, Spain when I was 3 years old.
USA. Disneyland in LA when I was 11.
Portugal Faro, when I was 15 with my neighbors.
U.S. when I was 1.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.