I am starting to get Bamboo running and have a question about plans. I am trying to determine the best way to structure a project, and I am not too sure how to create the plans. Here is my scenario.
We are planning on running multiple projects with Bamboo. Each will have a CI build and a Test Build. The distinction is the CI build will run every time the repository is updated, while the Test build will run once per day (at night). CI as you might guess is the continuous build we do, while test is designed for our QA team to test each day.
So initially I thought I would set Bamboo up as follows (assume project called Rocket):
Project: Rocket-CI
Plan 1: Compile
Plan 2: Run Unit Tests
Plan 3: Create Database
Project: Rocket-Test
Plan 1: Compile
Plan 2: Run Unit Tests
Plan 3: Create Database
When we create the database in rocket-test we would be inserting a lot more data to facilitate testing, while rocket-ci would have the bare minimum data.
I am wondering if it might be better to have 1 project only, as follows:
Project: Rocket
Plan 1: CI
Plan 2: Test
...with each plan having compile, unit test and create database steps. I am just not sure if doing it this way makes it harder to see what is going wrong if something fails?
Does anyone have any opinions on this?
Thanks guys!
Rob