Pretty much anything with chocolate. But especially Tootsie Rolls and Baby Ruth bars when I was younger.
Bit of Honey ... and still is ;-)
Ah, those are addicting, too!
Need I say more? I could go into a candy coma finishing an endless bowl of these classics!
Pretty much anything and EVERYTHING from the school's "Tuck Shop" - the term is so old school I actually had to look up it's definition:"a shop, typically one on school premises, that sells confectionery, snacks, and soft drinks" - where everything was 1p or 2p, and some really cool fancy-$h!t was 10p!
Yes! Newsagents!
And in fancy shops or holiday resorts they were known as Pick & Mix, although, because all Brits are thieving scum (myself included #proud), we referred to them as Pick & Nick! (nick = steal)
One of my strongest memories from a Newsagents, was aged 5 or 6, getting my first ever Double Dip. That was a whopping 75p, and back in the 80s, compared to its 1p and 2p counter-parts (pun intended) was an insane price for candy!
I never was a fan of chocolate although I do enjoy a Snickers, Baby Ruth or Almond Joy on occasion. Growing up, we always fought over who's turn it was to drive to the little market down the road with Dad for the Sunday paper & candy treats! My favorite was always the candy necklaces!! They lasted longer than the chocolates, lollipops, or other confections my siblings ate, so mine was a treat that lasted all day! It still makes me chuckle when I think about my little brother & sister asking for a bite after their treat was gone and me smiling my biggest smile saying 'NOPE! You already ate yours!". :-D I know, it's mean, but living with 6 siblings where you had to share everything, this was a double treat for me. ;-)
@Andy Gladstone - I couldn't agree more. I can't understand why people look at me funny and say EEEEWWWW when I eat them?! I like the ones with the 'chocolate' bottoms the best!
Growing up in the USA, on the other hand, we had instead of newsagents, gas stations a plenty!
I used to be quite partial to fruit-flavoured candy, like this thing Laffy Taffy, which had a joke on the wrapper.
In my experience, generally our candy is more occasional, like Easter / Halloween / etc, than in the UK where it is more like a snack or something you would have anytime of the year. All I know is that one of the good things of not living in the USA full-time is that I eat a lot less candy than when I was a kid!
Ribbon candy! Reminds me of going to my grandparents house in Florida!
@Sue Wilson , I also L O V E candy corn! The pumpkins are my favorite. I have also made cookie toping out of melted candy corn.
Oh the days of munching Chick o Stick when I had enough money to buy one. Always checking the payphone change return for coins and collecting pop bottles to turn in for the deposit. As soon as I had enough, straight to the store to buy a chick o stick.
My favourite were Galatine
My favourite were and still are Napoleon Bonbons.
When I was little I loved these candy dots/buttons. You rip them off the paper and eat them. As an adult it does not sound appealing but as a kid the novelty of picking paper off your candy was fantastic. Each color had a slightly different flavor but I honestly don't remember. I'm sure it was pure sugar and food dye.
When I was younger I LOOOOVVEEED Reeces Peanut Butter Cups for the peanut butter.
As an adult, I love the peanut butter cup, but I'm picky on the chocolate portion. If it's Reece's or any other brand, the chocolate has to be dark chocolate.
@Robert Wen_Cprime_ - love me some Reece’s cups!!
Oh man, the smell of a good old newsagents. Full of newspapers and magazines and sweets. And pick and mix from Woolworths! Takes me back. I used to get a massive bag and pray it didn't way a kg so I'd have to put some back. Pretty much always had to put some back
I've got a bit of a candy problem.Directly in front of me I can see Werther's, Reece's mini's, Kit Kat, Gummies, Chocolate covered Raisin's... Galaxy Bar's, another flavor of Werther's... This continues in our house from entry door to back room office. Grandkids love coming here. As a child my mother's home was much the same. Also as a child outside of commercial candy it was most often purchased for pennies/per piece or pieces/per penny and delivered in a plain brown bag from the local small independent corner store. This grab-bag of sorts included anything from jaw-breakers, to gum-balls, to caramels, or licorice, gummies, .... It would have to be that grab-bag that I would call my childhood favorite suppose I've just turned the house into a very large version of that LOL
I have never had the pleasure to visit a newsagents, but it sounds like it smells amazing!
Mine favorite was definitely Nerds! Frist of all I loved and still do love the name of the candy because I was a nerd! My second favorite was penny candy! I used to get atomic fireballs, little boxes of redhots, lemonheads, jawbreakers, and Boston baked beans and so many more! Oh my gosh - I WANT SOME NOW!
Thanks everyone! So much fun to read your comments and reminisce I am moving tomorrow so not working for pay (i.e. OOO), therefore I bid you all a great weekend now!
My favorite candy and still one of my favorite is Tronky!
I've come here to look at the candy.Don't judge!!
Galaxy 😋
Deli guarana 💚 - they obviously needed to take this candy down because it's not that healthy for kids but I loved it so much!
@Craig Nodwell - You can look, but no touching.
Chokotoff Noir/Puur
@Dave Mathijs - That looks like my kind of candy!
Mine was always a look bar!
I really liked this hard thin chocolate bar that had caramel inside. You could only get it at a diary or at netball games!
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.