Sourcetree 1.9.x completely changed the file selection UI. How do I get the tree back? There no longer seems to be an option to display files within their directories in a tree.
I have added a number of Jira requests for the issues. Please vote up the ones you care about:
Changes are staged automatically after upgrading to 1.9https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-2255
Bring back filename viewhttps://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-2257
Restore Amend Commit checkbox https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-2258
Fix scrolling for staging area https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-2259
Move commit message history button to the top https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-2260
Hunks all run together in 1.9 diff view https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-2261
I second that! Tree is gone, and column view is gone. I wonder how anyone can work like this??
See also: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/289244/how-to-get-column-view-in-file-status-view-in-1-9-0
Yes, this update is maddening! Who the hell thought it was a good idea to make this change!
Reviewing diffs, mine or others', using the tree view is the single most important thing I use SourceTree for! In facts, most days, that's the only thing I use SourceTree for...
So now, how do I revert to the previous version? I can't find it...
OK, after 1h of searching through all the menu options, I found it by looking at a screenshot of the new version...
The top of the panel that shows the commit details can be pulled down to reveal the files. For some reason, this section was pulled-up all the way, making it impossible to see and extremely hard to discover, but now that I've pulled it down, I can't pull it back up all the way.
You can see it the files in this view: http://sourcetreeapp.com/images/sourcetree-hero-mac-log.png
IMHO that's no reason why Mac users should now put up with the limits of the Windows version.
I can't help chuckling to myself, because the file selection UI you are describing has been the only UI ever available in the Windows version of SourceTree.
It is very annoying, the easiest way to find a specific file is to start typing its name into the search box. If you are focused on modified files, just set the filter to "Show Pending".
Yeah, but that's still only flat view, it doesn't show tree or column view!
Agree. What happened to tree and column view? Those were super useful. This really is more like a UI regression.
I found the link for the old version: http://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/SourceTree_1.8.1.dmg
While we're at it, how do you hide the distracting lines between file names? Reading a long list of path names with separator lines makes it harder to group them by directory as you're reading. Plus, it fits fewer files. This product is for developers, not average people, and we like file and directory listings where we can see more, not less. The lines serve no purpose other than visual clutter.
And ... how do I get the view where one column is the filename and the other column is the path (or directory)? That was super useful! Now I have to make the left pane really wide in order for it to show me the filename, which shrinks the diff to way too small on my laptop screen. Yeah, it's not much of an issue on my big screen, but I also work on my laptop.
Really, what were they thinking?
I agree, this new view is pure BS. At least, I can see the files.
Thanks for the pointer to v1.8.1, I'll go back to this version right away!
+ 1 I dont undertand this chage: tree view is probably the main reason I would use SourceTree at all...
I spent some more time trying out 1.9. There are worse problems than the loss of the file tree.
Their "improved commit" experience is worse (or buggy, or both). Files sometimes automatically stage themselves when you change them.
Before, it was really convenient to look at the list of staged and unstaged files together, since they both scrolled separately. I use staging all the time while I'm working to snapshot a good (but not commitable) state while I continue to make changes. Now, staged and unstaged is one scrolling list, so I can't see both together.
The new diff view is not better -- it's worse. The wide gray bars are harder to distinguish from the pastel pink and light green bars for the diffs than the sharp deliniation we had before before. It is useful to see the hunk deliniations because it indicates a jump to another location in the file.
The commit options are worse, buried in a menu when there is plenty of room for them. I use Amend commit all the time, just like staging. I stage, stage, commit, stage, stage, amend commit, ..., push. This makes it easy for me to forget to amend. And they made the "push immediately" option, which I personally never use, really prominent.
Putting the entire commit pane at the bottom makes the commit comment history popup appear broken. Nice.
We paid for copies of SourceTree for everyone in the company before it became free. I've been really happy with it. But this is a downgrade.
So ... I just UPGRADED back to 1.8.1. 1.9.x is going to need a lot of work before I consider using it.
Have any of you opened a bug report/feature request at jira.atlassian.com? If so, please post it here as an answer so everyone in this discussion can vote it up.
I agree with most above: new UI feels like a step backwards, not forwards. No staged files view?!
Roy and Kaveh, you should convert your comment (bug reports) to answers. Kevah can them mark them both as the right answers.
Thanks, Seth. Don't know why I didn't think of that.
OMG, I used to love this tool, now I hate it. How can an update go so bad, so quickly?
Some horrible changes in this update indeed. No column view in the file lists is deffinitely the worst of all. I think I'll downgrade to 1.8.1 for now
Why would you touch the basic UI functionalities while they work really well and people love them? Haven't you learnt anything from Microsoft's Metro interface? Don't innovate just for the sake of the innovation.
I hope these issues will be fixed soon.
Downgrading to 1.8.1. Horrible update:
- TreeView is missing.
- No staging area.
- Updating the window (pending files) takes way too long (nearly 2 mins here to catch up with the changes in the file!)!
- UI is taking to much space anyway.
(corss-posted from the blog)
Rather than reply to every comment here I thought I'd respond here at the top level. Firstly, apologies to people who don't like the changes in this update. We always knew it might be controversial with some people, although we genuinely felt that after doing user tests and using it ourselves internally for many weeks that after an adjustment period, it felt better. I hope you give it some time, try the alternate approaches, but if you still feel strongly, the previous version is still available here:http://downloads.atlassian.com...
We're making some small refinements and fixes for 1.9.1, and we'll be reviewing all the feedback for future updates. Changes to a core UI component which hasn't altered much in over 2 years is always going to be tough, but there were definitely things to address when it came to new users (particularly those new to git). We thought we'd got the balance right between making it easier for new users while retaining the preferences of more advanced users - which includes us! - but your feedback is useful in gauging the success of that in the 'real world' of course. Thanks for your feedback, and for your patience; we all want to make SourceTree the best tool for everyone.
Unfortunatly, I have to revert to 1.8.1 too. Working without treeview is too dificullt and dangerous for me. Looking forward to return it in a next release.
Having lots of problems with 1.9.1, and logging in to jira.atlassian.comjust brings me recursively back to a log-in page, so...
I think I'll stop there for now. I was excited for these changes but I tend to agree the the other users here, the new design is worse than the old one. Thankfully I can downgrade.
I think that refers to git branches, not folder structure.
Losing the tree view is definitely extremely odd - I mean the thing is called SourceTree!
True, but still don't like losing any tree views! I really hope that Atlassian does not think this http://xkcd.com/1172/is applicable here :-)
I can't log in to vote
If only I could log in to vote
Like the comment on this issue (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-2267), I'd say that these changes wouldn't make it easier for a new user either.
We are five users here in my office, and we are all very disappointed with the new working copy and commit windows. You can't even select multiple files.
The blog Steve posted states that you can select multiple files (try Cmd+Click and Shift+Click), then press the space bar to check (or uncheck) them all.
Thanks, that does work, and it's incredibly bad GUI design! How should I have known?
I agree with the displeasure over the new UI. For my changed files I do NOT want the see the file path prepended to the file name. After I downgraded I figured out that in the old version I could change the order of the columns (silly me). You cheesed my move and moved my cheese.
I didn't last 10 minutes with 1.9.1... Here's the old version for those who agree the new UI has no purpose in life:
http://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/SourceTree_1.8.1.dmg
(I couldn't find the windows version but it should be around there)
Aside from the other topics disccused here:
I'd love to have back the stagin area with Drag-and-Drop. It's more user friendly.
I've used SourceTree for a few years and have never used the tree view. It's the REST of the new UI that I have a problem with...
Jira declares an error when I try to login :-)
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.