Hi there
I'd like my labels to be alphabetical but there doesn't seem to be any way to drag or sort.
Is it possible to reorder labels please?
Thanks
Max
Hi Max,
Unfortunately, right now, you aren't able to reorder your labels.
I can’t guarantee it’ll be implemented, but I'll be happy to pass your thoughts on to the product team to take into consideration!
Many thanks
Just wondering if there was any progress on this item
Same question
I have a temporary workaround for those who need some order to their labels in the meantime. While it does negate being able to choose your specific color, it is still useful if you MUST have them sorted...
The labels might seem completely random, but there is actually an order to them. Each color has a subtle, a regular, and a bold value. The order of the labels cycles through each color, and their subtle, regular, and bold values. So if you use the chart below you should be able to organize your labels alphabetically or really whatever way you want, though at the cost of choosing the color. Temporary work around but works nonetheless.
This is super helpful in the interim. Thank you!
It seems like a very basic command that we could really use. I also vote for sorting labels by drag and drop!
Thank you for figuring this out and sharing it! Very helpful!! (And yes, Trello, we shouldn't have to do this. ;p)
Hi,
I was also missing this feature from Trello so I develop a quick and dirty vanilla JS solution for it.
Here is the source code: https://github.com/szilard-nemeth/javascript-hacks/blob/master/trello_com/tampermonkey-trello-reorder-labels.js
Demonstration video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fTwr9gPyfvZx8mQi8Y40Ot8HRf6YDvQR/view?usp=sharing
The only thing need to be installed is the Tampermonkey browser extension to load the JS file when trello.com is loaded.
Link to Tampermonkey: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/tampermonkey/dhdgffkkebhmkfjojejmpbldmpobfkfo?hl=en
The only downside of this is that it only works from the browser and not from the Trello app.Let me know if this is useful.
Hi @nemethszyszy
Thank you for your script! I gave it a try (Firefox + Tampermonkey).
Two remarks:
1. The script needs to be manually adapted for users that don't have their Trello interface in English, otherwise it won't work. For example the button "Create a new label" needs to be translated. Changes need to be made by going to the script in Tampermonkey -> select Edit -> manually change line numbers 99/100/105/107 to the text displayed in your interface -> press Save.
2. There are several ways in Trello to open the label management interface (from the card, from the board and from the card 'quick menu') and to close it again. I see the script monitors when the pop-up is closed using the 'X' button. However, when you close the pop-up by clicking elsewhere on the screen, the "Sort labels" button won't be added to the label management interface when you open it again, on a new card. I guess this is something that could be improved in the script?
But thanks again for providing us with a solution. However, what I'd like to see from the Trello team is a way to custom order the labels. Maybe in 2025? 😉
+1 This is really annoying.
Why is this little request taking so long for the Trello people to implement? It was first raised in 2022. We are now in 2025!!
I created a powerup for myself so I can reorder labels + replace a labels on all cards (even archived ones).You can reorder labels in the same order they appear on the card or by what you use most frequently.Here's the PowerUp: https://trello.com/power-ups/683ec582447a77eafb9ad521/reorderable-labels
Totally true. I've had enough of it, so I created a PowerUp for myself: https://trello.com/power-ups/683ec582447a77eafb9ad521/reorderable-labels
Just a girl over here, in 2026, asking for Trello to implement a native label re-organising function. Please.
Hi Max and everyone,
As far as Trello’s native label dropdown goes, it still follows Trello’s built-in label order, so there isn’t a native drag-and-drop option for manually grouping or reordering labels there.
A workaround you can try is the Board Assistant Power-Up. It adds its own “BA Labels” button inside a card, which opens a separate labels window. In that window, you can organize labels more flexibly, set a custom order, and even create separate label groups with different sorting options.
Board Assistant:https://trello.com/power-ups/685016dd47b5654ae385bba6
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.