I have three products (Jira, Confluence, Crowd) all point to the same physical server, but each with their own database.
Jira and Confluence can connect to their respective databases with no issues.
Crowd does not. I am trying to figure out why, and in the course of looking at the three installations I see that Jira and Confluence use these properties:
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver
com.atlassian.confluence.impl.hibernate.dialect.SQLServerDialect
jdbc:sqlserver://*********:1433;databaseName=*****
and Crowd uses these properties:
net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver
jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://*******:1433/*****
org.hibernate.dialect.SQLServerDialect
Which produces the following error on the SQL Server
Encryption is required to connect to this server but the client library does not support encryption; the connection has been closed. Please upgrade your client library.
The DBA has assured me that encryption IS NOT required. However, when I update the properties in Crowd to the same values as Jira and Confluence (and copy the library file), I got the following error
Could not connect to the database: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: The driver could not establish a secure connection to SQL Server by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption. Error: "PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to ... (More details about the error can be found in the logs).
So I'm stuck. I would really appreciate any ideas at all. Even crazy ones.