(Disclaimer: While there are no spoilers in this post itself, I can't guarantee there won't be any in the comments! Read on with caution... ⚠️)
I don't know about you, but I found the show Severance to be pretty wild. Have you watched it yet? It's one of those shows that just kind of haunts you and keeps creeping back into your thoughts in an intriguing way. Being a show about work and workplace culture, I really wanted to hear some thoughts on it from this group.
There were several apparent themes that popped out and realizations that I had while watching, but for me, I think these were the top two:
- Work-life balance is far from a "one-size-fits-all" concept: We have "segmentors" and "integrators" with some folks choosing to be on one extreme end or the other. I realized that I often fluctuate here depending on what's going on at the time at home and at work. I recently went through a period that required me to be an "integrator" for several weeks taking more of an always-available approach to work but have been making my way back to more of a "segmentor" lifestyle. You?
- Identity contradictions can be really tough to navigate: Who are we really if we have two versions of ourselves — a "work self" and a "home self"? Here's a little plug for why we should bring our whole, authentic selves to work. I've improved a lot in this area over the years and I think it's made me better at my job.
How about you? What were the themes/realizations that you found most glaring throughout the show, and maybe even relatable?